VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thought it was all going to well on the T4 front. Went for a long run yesterday when pulling hard and all of a sudden i lost most of the power. It just went gutless. No warning lights and still drives just down on power. The strange thing is I switched it off then restarted it and all was well again.:*........ I've also developed erratic idle but only when it's up to temp and not before, the engine sounds like it's hunting until I rev it up to 1000rpm hold it for a few seconds then it will idle ok....
The last issue is its blue smoking on start up, now this I'm expecting to be valve stem seals as it only does it when left over night and once I've blasted down the road it's gone.
Really hoping this ain't going to turn into a fortune......

·
Registered
472 Posts
Check boost pipes from n75 valve. Sounds like it went into limp mode! Not sure whether the t4 had a vnt mechanism like my passat 1.9tdi. That had stuck veins so the actuator didn't move hence throwing into limp mode. Could also be ur maf. Have u scanned it uet for fault codes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Il have to try and drug the reader out. I'Ve been out this morning and had no issues, pulls like a train. Just been looking at having the stem seals changed and don't think I'm Gina have much change out of £800. Not a happy bunny at the minute

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry and it done a minor 146000 when she's running she goes like the clappers. I got no complaints. But the idle and DOP is a bit of a issue.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
OP, I suspect your van has Stanadyne disease :

Stanadyne disease : an often misunderstood but very common illness that afflicts only the AJT with 100k+ miles, symptoms include poor tickover, smoking on startup & smoking when idling for extended periods + smelly exhaust gasses.....

Speak to doctor Ron (otherwise known as Rake) for a full cure :ILU:

Just noticed the £800 for new seals comment ~ really ?? you can get a complete new head for less

·
Registered
867 Posts
OP, I suspect your van has Stanadyne disease :

Stanadyne disease : an often misunderstood but very common illness that afflicts only the AJT with 100k+ miles, symptoms include poor tickover, smoking on startup & smoking when idling for extended periods + smelly exhaust gasses.....

Speak to doctor Ron (otherwise known as Rake) for a full cure :ILU:

Just noticed the £800 for new seals comment ~ really ?? you can get a complete new head for less
he saved me typing it out :)

mine does it and im just waiting for finances to pick up before i line rake's pockets :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine hasn't got the standine injectors they are Bosch, and the uncanny parts is according to the history they were replaced at 96000mile. If the injectors are the issue I've got a 2nd hand set out of a 102bhp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After doing a lot of reading, are the standing injectors fitted in all the t4 2.5 88bhp or was Bosch injectors fitted. I haven't got a clue now. I was sure the Bosch ones were fitted

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well after some digging about, I do have the standine injectors fitted but people are saying il need a remap after fitting them. I've got to change all the vacuum pipes as they have collapsed and glued together. A bit of advise on this would help before I bite the bullet and fit them.

·
Registered
867 Posts
send Rake a PM, he will point you in the right direction T:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts