VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After visiting Vanfest and only getting a return of 19 mpg I am now thinking of LPG or swapping the 2.5 petrol engine with a diesel unit.

Has anyone converted their Petrol to LPG and roughly how much?

Also with the thought what would need to be replaced if I was to replace the petrol with a diesel unit (current engine is AAF with a CGK auto box)? I take it more or less the whole water system and drive shafts etc..:confused:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I got a lot of useful information from an LPG forum here

I would say your figures look about right. I fill my tank for about £30, and that's from empty to brim, and I get pretty much 300 miles from that.

Check carefully for a good fitter. Get recommendations if you can or references/testimonials if you can't.

I am very pleased with mine. I've had a couple of minor problems, but these have been remedied quickly, with the minimum of fuss and for free.

I'm not sure what else to say, but if you have any questions ask away.

Rustybus on here (although not much recently as he has sold his bus :() used to fit LPG, and was a good source of info for me.

ahay! :ILU:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a lot of useful information from an LPG forum here

I would say your figures look about right. I fill my tank for about £30, and that's from empty to brim, and I get pretty much 300 miles from that.
How many litres is your tank (57?) and I take it because the vehicle is registered before 01 Mar 2001 you dont get cheaper tax?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
How many litres is your tank (57?) and I take it because the vehicle is registered before 01 Mar 2001 you dont get cheaper tax?
57 ish T:

Cheaper tax........................no :(

Congestion charge exemption ......................... no again :bhd

Chanel tunnel ....................nope afraid not :( :bhd

Cheaper greener motoring ;)

Ability to brag at meets about fuel costs and consumption LOL:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
57 ish T:

Cheaper tax........................no :(

Congestion charge exemption ......................... no again :bhd

Chanel tunnel ....................nope afraid not :( :bhd

Cheaper greener motoring ;)

Ability to brag at meets about fuel costs and consumption LOL:
Well said that man :ILU:.

Same from me mate 57 tank £27 quidish to fill and 300 miles or more depending on how you drive and what you got in the back, you cant beat it. Not sure who fitted ahay's but gasure did mine. End of the day my man if you getting 19mpg whats stopping you?! Get it done and happy you will be :D

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Dualfuel in Woking did mine, highly recommended T:
Which brings me to another suggestion. Get a fitter that is reasonably close to you. So that if any tweaking and tuning is required, you don't have to traverse the country to get it done. :ILU:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Things to think about from my experience.

1. How many miles will you need to do to recover the cost of the conversion and how quickly will you cover those miles? For me it was about 16 - 18k from memory.

2. Plan where to put your filling point with any other work (like colour coding).

3. Which tank? Spare wheel tank or something bigger in the back of the van.

4. Ignition components in particular need to be in good nick. LPG exposes any weakness in the ignition system including weak leads, vacuum leaks etc. I've had some fun here.

5. Power loss. There will be some. MPG comes down a bit too.

6. Servicing. Your system needs to be serviced once a year. So factor that trip in.

7. The spare wheel tanks in particular are generally small limiting your range. The guys on here quoting 300 miles are doing well. I get less than that on a slightly smaller tank but I'm returning roughly 20-22 mpg with my little 1.8L. Cost wise - love it!! LOL:

8. Get a valve saver kit fitted (£50) at the same time. Cant say if it has any benefit but I cant see it doing any harm either. It basically feeds a drop of oil in through the fuel system to keep the valves lubricated. Gas is dry, petrol wet obviously.

·
Registered
16 Posts
had mine done in May.paid £850 by winning an auction on ebay.done by a nice Polish chap called andrew based in the welsh valleys near cardiff.company called Profess autogas.just had it serviced for the first time since installation,andrew send me a dvd disc and a cable and talked me through the servicing over the phone.getting 170 miles to round about £20 chugging around manchester going to work and back,where it was costing me round about £45 per week in petrol.

there is also a book you can buy for about £7 which lists all the LPG stations on aregional basis

if anybody needs info please ask

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.