VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my van has developed a rather annoying fault. It drives really well on light throttle but as soon as you put your foot down it's very hesitant, really jerky and stuttery and stays this way till you lift your foot off the throttle.
Van has recently had new plugs and leads.

Any ideas?? I'm thinking fueling but not sure where to start :*

Rob.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
hi, my van has developed a rather annoying fault. It drives really well on light throttle but as soon as you put your foot down it's very hesitant, really jerky and stuttery and stays this way till you lift your foot off the throttle.
Van has recently had new plugs and leads.

Any ideas?? I'm thinking fueling but not sure where to start :*

Rob.
Hello

is it a misfire or something else, like it's bogging down?

What colour are your spark plugs? That would be a good place to start.

After that I'd run over the dizzy cap and rotor arm to check they're ok. The cap can be a pain to get back on square somethimes. Vacuum leaks can lead to misfires and stuff. I take it the air filter and all sorts are clear as well?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's like it's bogging down.
I'm gonna whip the spark plugs out tomorrow.
It's had new air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, ht leads. The vacum pipes have all been replaced with silicone pipes a couple of months ago

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I'd be inclined to replace the cap/arm, and maybe the ignition module if that doesnt fix it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for all your replies so far. The dizzy cap and rotor arm are Bosch and about 2000 miles old. HT leads are from VW and about 2000 miles old.
Plugs are Bosch and about 1000 miles old. Coil is cheap from volkspares and about 2000 miles old.
Heres some pics of dizzy, rotor arm and plugs in order 1-5

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 thing i have found is the coil pack and ECU are on the same earth..... Would this be a problem???

·
Registered
25 Posts
never worked on 5cyl petrol only 4cyl 2E/AAC but check the vacuum pipe to brake master cylinder as my was leaking round the grommet on the master cylinder, also check the grommet for the ICV. The plugs do look a little black for 2000miles and the rotor arm doesn't look fantastic.

if i were you, id clean the plugs lightly with a bit of emery, bang it all back together and stick a strobe on it.

not entirely sure how the 5cyls work but i know on the AAC if you get number 1 to TDC you should see a line on the flywheel through the bell housing on the right hand side of the engine. (bearing in mind there are two 180degrees apart so make sure you the get the right one. connect the strobe on to ht lead going to 1st cyl.

then when you fire it up (let it warm up) have it run around 1000rpm (might need help) then point your strobe at the flywheel andyou should see the line in the middle. if its off then advance or retard the dizzy cap by slackening off the bolt underneath it and turning it until the line sits in the middle.
once this is set correctly then you will it means your plugs will be sparking at the right time so the optimal amount of fuel is getting burnt,

hope this helps, sorry if it doesnt...dont know much about these engines

rich

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for all replies guys.
I decided to start cheap and easy first and replace components one by one so i new which was at fault.
Replaced rotor arm first and low and behold it's fixed!!!
Can't believe that the bosch rotor arm didn't even last 2000 miles........
Anyway i'm happy that it's fixed and only cost a fiver....

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Cheers for all replies guys.
I decided to start cheap and easy first and replace components one by one so i new which was at fault.
Replaced rotor arm first and low and behold it's fixed!!!
Can't believe that the bosch rotor arm didn't even last 2000 miles........
Anyway i'm happy that it's fixed and only cost a fiver....
Excellent. I was going to say I didn't like the look of it. A:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts