VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! i have a question for all you vw buffs on here. my beloved caravelle, a 1996 2.5 petrol auto, has developed a tapping noise. I am almost certain it is the followers but want a second oppinion. it taps in time with the revs and does it all the time. it is worst when cold where the tapping is more of a gentle knock than a tap. it does it only when applying throttle and goes completeley silent when lifting off. what do you guys think. other than this tapping engine runs lovely and smooth as it should, has had new oil about every 8000 miles since new and have not noticed any increase in fuel consumption. i ran a can of hydraulic tappet additive to it a month ago and as i new it would it did nothing (all these aditives i am sure are useless). the second part of my question is about replacement followers. are these all the same in the petrol and diesel engines?? i can buy 10 on ebay for £40 but they say only for diesel engines. i was under the impression vw used a standard follower in most engines for ages. other than those the only price i can get is £10 each so quite a difference.
this has become a bit of a ongoing laugh where i work, I am a mechanic by trade and between me and the other 4 mechanics that work with me none of us can decide if it is something or nothing. i would just change them anyway but to be honest i don`t mind paying £40 for them if diesel ones are the same but if i have to fork out £100 i may just let it develop. it has become make my mind up time because she is coming into my bay late next week for cambelt change and transmission cooler upgrade so is really the time to do it if it needs to be done. any input from you guys would be great. cheers all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts