VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just a question regarding the above van. Condition is excellent with zero rust but traditionally little interest at 20mpg and last one i got had a tdi and manual conversion for about £1.5k.
There seems to be a growing backlash against diesels growing in big cities......LEZ being a case in point.

So as a tight assed Yorkshireman, the dual conversion is a no brainer but do you think it will turn full circle and petrol will make a comeback?

Should I be thinking lpg instead?

Would anyone actually want to buy a mint 20yr old T4 that was petrol and auto?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
in answer to the last part no way petrol will never come back in t4 land and autobox more trouble than they worth ..A:

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
in answer to the last part no way petrol will never come back in t4 land and autobox more trouble than they worth ..A:
...and there go the Auto haters again:(....had mine [2.5 petrol] 8 years with no trouble at all T:

These boxes are as good as any other as long as they are looked after and supplied with correct oil at regular intervals...bad maintenance will cause any part to give problems.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
...and there go the Auto haters again:(....had mine [2.5 petrol] 8 years with no trouble at all T:

These boxes are as good as any other as long as they are looked after and supplied with correct oil at regular intervals...bad maintenance will cause any part to give problems.
I am not a autobox hater I drive a r reg merc 200 auto never caused any trouble in all those years cannot say that about t4 auto never had one that lasts as for recon boxes I don't know anyone who can rebuild them correctly if they so good why so many changed to manual.. as for my t4 manual everytime ..my merc 18 years old .I bet no t4 auto will last that long on original box

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
The Mercedes autobox cannot be compared with the VW box. I still feel the pain 4 years after I bought a manual boxed car.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One oil and filter change in total, can't remember the exact price but under £40...done by myself T:
ok you win I am impressed what miles has yours done ..I would love a t4 auto as I do prefer autoboxes ..no oil change on my merc gearbox yet ..hope it lasts me out done 166k .I did once have a t4 auto it was fantastic going in reverse but wouldn't change up going forward .so was scrapped ...

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
ok you win I am impressed what miles has yours done ..I would love a t4 auto as I do prefer autoboxes ..no oil change on my merc gearbox yet ..hope it lasts me out done 166k .I did once have a t4 auto it was fantastic going in reverse but wouldn't change up going forward .so was scrapped ...
May have won my argument, but feel a slight fraud as my Caravelle only just turned 90,000 I:....still I do feel people don't look after them as they should, which in turn brings up problems for future owners.:(

...good luck with the Merc :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw an article that said the autobox oil was sealed for life then another saying change every 40k miles.

The so called mechanics SHOULD use the correct grade of oil if its so critical to its operation. Trouble is most will take to a we work on all cars garage. Once youve had a T4 autobox go wrong you soon learn about the importance of the atm oil but before?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts