VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, my ex AA has a rattly gearbox - local VW mechanic reckons it's the layshaft knocking, as it only rattles at idle. Bring the revs up a bit and it stops, and I can't hear it when driving.

I'm not too worried about it at present, it's probably a present from the AA, leaving the van idling for long periods!

I will want to get it sorted at some point, so, at the same time, I want to try to upgrade the ratios. I am running 155bhp thanks to project power, so the ratios aren't ideally matched any more.

I know the 'box on the 1.9 can be upgraded with a 5th gear from a golf box, but what are my options here? Either a 5th gear swap or even a final drive swap to increase all gears (probably better for me)

Anyone with a smattering of gearbox knowledge help me out here? I'm sure it would be a popular mod if I can get it sorted......

Cheers

Dick

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Are the ratios the same in all t4s, caravelles,multivans AHY AXG etc etc???

·
Banned
212 Posts
the gearboxes are different and the ratios are also,thats why steiner is selling a syncro upgrade for the 5th gear, the main difference between the 88 and 102 is the manufacturer 88 produced by vw and the 102 i think is leyland daf and its not possible to do any work on the 102 without a full strip down as it doesnt have a inspection cover on the end of the box
hope that helps
cheers pete

·
6,698 Posts
the gearboxes are different and the ratios are also,thats why steiner is selling a syncro upgrade for the 5th gear, the main difference between the 88 and 102 is the manufacturer 88 produced by vw and the 102 i think is leyland daf and its not possible to do any work on the 102 without a full strip down as it doesnt have a inspection cover on the end of the box
hope that helps
cheers pete

Yep Pete is spot on,

You can put the AXG AHY box on the 102 but you need the lot, drive shafts and everything as its so much heavier.

It does have a longer 5th...

·
Banned
212 Posts
sorry let me rephrase that i am sure the 1.9td and the 88 bhp are the same ratios as it is possible to do the upgrade by either the golf conversion or fitting the 5th gear syncro upgrade and both are the vw box now as mentioned on my previous post the 102 is not a vw and is put togethter differently and requires a full strip for any work or repairs to be carried out
hope this helps
pete

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure its not the flywheel knocking?I:
Well, I didn't think it was the flywheel, but seeing as its just gone bang maybe it was! I'll let you know more once the garage have opened her up for a look....

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
102 box is different to 88..
previously had a mondeo that knocked at idle (was internittent), would also dissapear with the clutch pedal depressed.. Dual mass flywheel was the cause..

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Righto, the garage drained the gearbox and the oil was shiny and silvery. Somewhere, there is a lot of aluminium missing from where it should be!

This leaves me needing a new gearbox.

Wanting to up the ratios, I would ideally like a 88bhp 'box.

Anyone got one?:D

I will put up a wanted thread, but could anyone shed light on just what components will be needed? It has already been mentioned the drive-shafts should come from the 88, and I imagine the shift mechanism will have to do the same.

Other than that, is it simply bolt on? And what clutch to use?

I can see pound notes floating away in front of my eyes............................

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Righto, the gearbox has been stripped and rebuilt, new bearings all round. Should be sorted now, and I have pretty much given up on the ratio upgrade. My father-in-law knows the head gearbox bloke at LDV, and he says it's not one of theirs (makes sense really, I think all LDVs are RWD?)

I have sourced a 2.4 flywheel, and a good priced 190 BHP VR6 clutch courtesy of http://www.t4performance.co.uk/ so no nasty dual mass flywheel going back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts