VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brethren ... I’m looking for advice. 2002 2.5TDI Caravelle. Last week went to pull away from a standing start and it felt like it was going to stall, it did ... and then the gear stick suddenly when sloppy ... so I discovered on here that it was likely to be the gear selector bushes/balls. Investigated this and the bush holding the small ball on the T bar was mashed and the T bar was all over the place. A 10 minute job I had read by all accounts and only £15 for all the balls and bushes. BUT because it’s a caravelle, with heating pipes for the passenger side going over the top of the T Bar, it’s taken 2 f’ing days to take it apart and put it back together again. Trouble is now it's almost impossible to pull away in first unless I ride the clutch. So question is, is there an adjustment to make on the T bar (I don’t think there can be) or is the clutch/slave cylinder/master cylinder knackered. If it is the clutch is this what led to the Bush finally falling apart??

Also if a new clutch is required ... how much and where can I get this done - I'm in Reading, Berkshire

Helppppppppppp!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Brethren ... I’m looking for advice. 2002 2.5TDI Caravelle. Last week went to pull away from a standing start and it felt like it was going to stall, it did ... and then the gear stick suddenly when sloppy ... so I discovered on here that it was likely to be the gear selector bushes/balls. Investigated this and the bush holding the small ball on the T bar was mashed and the T bar was all over the place. A 10 minute job I had read by all accounts and only £15 for all the balls and bushes. BUT because it’s a caravelle, with heating pipes for the passenger side going over the top of the T Bar, it’s taken 2 f’ing days to take it apart and put it back together again. Trouble is now it's almost impossible to pull away in first unless I ride the clutch. So question is, is there an adjustment to make on the T bar (I don’t think there can be) or is the clutch/slave cylinder/master cylinder knackered. If it is the clutch is this what led to the Bush finally falling apart??

Also if a new clutch is required ... how much and where can I get this done - I'm in Reading, Berkshire

Helppppppppppp!
Yes it's more than 10 mins to do ALL the bushes, base of the gear lever as well. Example of a full kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T4-Tr....5+TDI&hash=item3a84030854:g:v~4AAMXQAEFSEk9d

Adjustment is quite critical, if you don't have a set-up tool (some full kits come with them), then there is lots of info showing 'make do' methods on here.

Should you decide you need to replace the clutch and DMF, I would suggest using genuine parts to get a 2 yr warranty, and use someone who is familiar with the job (some turn it into a drama, which it is not) ................... Could do worse than your local Van Centre. From memory it's north of £700 with them T:T:T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 'scruffy'. Had another go in her this morning and cant see that it is the clutch plate so more likely adjustment. I have asked at our local VW Van Centre for the price of supply and fit of clutch and DMF as if its not that I have the feeling it will be soon, the peddle is biting very high. I will be interested in what their price is and will post this as soon as they get back because I have seen quotes on here and other forums ranging from £200 to over £1600

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Thanks 'scruffy'. Had another go in her this morning and cant see that it is the clutch plate so more likely adjustment. I have asked at our local VW Van Centre for the price of supply and fit of clutch and DMF as if its not that I have the feeling it will be soon, the peddle is biting very high. I will be interested in what their price is and will post this as soon as they get back because I have seen quotes on here and other forums ranging from £200 to over £1600
Not sure if mine is current but on the Van Centre menu I have here it's £715 + VAT T:T:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Not sure if mine is current but on the Van Centre menu I have here it's £715 + VAT T:T:
That is just the fitted clutch price of course.

Just to give you an idea, the clutch and DMF from VW retails at £830.26 (inc VAT). Lots of DMF's are fitted when not really needed though, so be mindful if you go down that route. T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds fair enough for the parts and work involved and I would rather get it done by guys who are doing them regularly. From what you say, and the circumstances, I think I may be lucky and it's a positioning/adjustment problem - have found a couple of threads that relate to wedging the gear stick in before tightening the clamp below ... will give that a try this evening.

If it does come to clutch replacement I've frequently read on here, and elsewhere, that the Duel Mass Flywheel is not a good choice and there are options of a single flywheel? any knowledge there?

Cheers T:T:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
That sounds fair enough for the parts and work involved and I would rather get it done by guys who are doing them regularly. From what you say, and the circumstances, I think I may be lucky and it's a positioning/adjustment problem - have found a couple of threads that relate to wedging the gear stick in before tightening the clamp below ... will give that a try this evening.

If it does come to clutch replacement I've frequently read on here, and elsewhere, that the Duel Mass Flywheel is not a good choice and there are options of a single flywheel? any knowledge there?

Cheers T:T:
DMF is THE choice, in VW's and also in my opinion. Had the last one in 2009 (and a few when it was under warrany but that was the early days), can't remember if it was replaced because it was needed or because it's just me always spending money. Either way it's perfectly fine 9 years on, and for a Caravelle (mine's a 20 + year old Multivan so same thing really), it is much smoother to drive and especially 'pull away' with.

If you want to go cheap and cheerful, aftermarket parts are available to go solid flywheel; as I'm sure are lots of people to fit them for you LOL:LOL:LOL:

Just as a footnote, if not already spotted in your linkage bush reading, the 'short shift mod' is well worth while too T:T:T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again 'Scruffy' - the update is, after following one of the gear stick adjustment threads on here it turned out to simply be that. So back under the bus adjustment made - gear change good again ... so the clutch can wait for a while, but I don't think it will be long.

However, in my excitement I rolled it off the ramps and neglected to take the axle stands (there for precaution) out from under the van. Driveway floods with fluid .... i dropped it on the steering pump outlet and bust the pipe off. So now need to replace the whole high pressure hose from pump to steering rack :(:(:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update is .... the high pressure steering pipe for the T4 2.5 TDI up to 2003 is discontinued :eek::eek: I have tried the usual heritage parts etc. and no bugger appears to stock it now. I've seen a couple for sale from breakers but these look pretty rusty and corroded. Looks like I may need to get a pipe specially made :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could be worth a go. The broken bit is the short piece of steel pipe with a banjo fitting on the end that bolts onto the PAS pump. If they have the right size banjo then I guess they could crimp something together. Cheers T:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Bit late in the day but I have pdf of VW guide for adjusting/setting up gear linkage. If you'd like a copy just pm me your email address and I will send it.
Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would Take the hose to a hydraulic shop and have them repair it for you
Tried a company called Pirtek who said they couldn't repair it ... looking at their catalogue I reckon it's more like wont repair it as they seem to have all the bits to make a serviceable copy of the original. Anyway got a used part from Cali Campers in New Milton, £50 posted, so back on the road as soon as I fit it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts