VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I removed my EGR for a good clean out, when applying a vacuum to the actuator the valve does not move, i cant get a vacuum and can hear air being drawn in, some air is drawn in via a small machined hole in the bottom of the valve body, but even when blocked i still cant get vacuum. The valve does move when pushed so is not seized.
Its probably obvious, no vacuum, no valve move, but just want to ask incase for some silly reason this is normal and no need to shell out on a new one?.
Btw, my egr does not have the bolt on plastic actuator.
Im not looking to EGR delete, id rather everything as standard.
Any info on this appreciated.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What are you using to put vacuum to the valve ? It needs quite a lot o vacuum, use a vacuum pump to test however diaphragm breaks in them altough they are very robust on t4's...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just sucking on it , yes probably not going to be enough to move the valve but i thought it would be enough to create a vacuum and stick on my tongue , il try and find a vac pump later today and test again. Im just trying to sort all issues on my van mechanically before I tart the van up as its been smoking alot lately and is lacking in power, the intake manifold is so full off thick black wet gunge and a small pool of oil in intercooler to turbo pipe, but thats going to be another story I guess. The can of worms opens!.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, my brother has a t4 tdi, newer but same egr, sorry this sounds so wrong but sucked on his egr pipe and is definitely vacuum, can even hear the valve trying to creak open slightly , the pipe to check this is the pipe on the 2nd port down on the front N18 solenoid valve. So looks like im needing a replacement EGR.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,961 Posts
Why not just blank the damn thing off?
It only causes problems anyway....mostly for the engine.
The only problem blanking it off is for "tree-huggers"...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to remove the intake manifold anyway, the build up is so bad i could grow potatoes out of it and i cant ignore it, so il have a clean manifold and clean working EGR for another 10 years or so as VW nature intended. Anyway the EGR is tree huggers I thought, and blanking off is for meat eaters lol.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
There are 2 very difficult cap head bolts on the inlet manifold - don't bother with it unless you are replacing the turbo or rebuilding the head. It's a fools errand anyway as the main problem is that the EGR gunk gets baked onto the valve stems & restricts the airflow, the valve pictured below is actually a good one:

As Gaz said, block off the EGR & ignore the flan faced kid.

HH

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,961 Posts
Im going to remove the intake manifold anyway, the build up is so bad i could grow potatoes out of it and i cant ignore it, so il have a clean manifold and clean working EGR for another 10 years or so as VW nature intended. Anyway the EGR is tree huggers I thought, and blanking off is for meat eaters lol.
Remember, VW only did this to pass certain regulations.
ANYONE wanting best performance/lifetime would blank this off as the 1st modification!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some good advice, thankyou. The turbo is coming out anyway has my intercooler hose had a pool of oil inside and van smokes alot, so i will get manifold off too and clean it out. Its looking like blanking the egr will be the way to go to keep it free from sludge in future, tear down has already comenced, but right now its beer time. Thanks again for the input, this forum is a wealth of knowledge for t4 owners.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,961 Posts
EGR blank is simply replace the gasket with a stainless steel blanking plate.......but cleaning the cr*p out from everywhere else makes a big difference!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Gaz, going to blank it after its all off and cleaned out and let my t4 breathe again. 👍

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used a couple of layers of a coke can in between two gaskets over 10 years ago. It slowly blows the horrible sticky **** out the back of the van and it coats the back doors. Mine runs like a dream though and has 173k on now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts