VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

has anyone ever tried removing their PCV valve completely? I'm thinking of replacing it with an oil catch can with a breather on it. I don't want hot oily air to get into my cold air intake, but I don't want to ruin my engine either. I know the air intake takes care of sucking the blowby out of the crankcase. So my questions are:

Can I use a vacuum pipe for sucking it out instead? - I'm guessing this could create too much pressure in the crankcase and suck out too much oil. Also the hot air probably won't do too much good to the vacuum pump.

Is the oily air needed for any parts of the intake (lubrication etc.)?

Basically the idea is to connect a pipe to the crankcase which would go to the oil catch can with a breather on it. Hot air would go out through the breather under pressure. The other inlet on the catch can would go to the vacuum pump to create pressure for sucking the oil out.

What are you thoughts, any long-term experience?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When cars were cars and the AA man saluted.
Breather pipes had a cork filter (if you were lucky) and breathed their fumes all over the side of the engine and oil just dripped down onto the ground.
Pollution was invented and oil being a petroleum product could be directed into the combustion chain and burnt by the engine, and so it happened.

No doubt now days it will be an MoT failure in some countries.

Will it cause any engine harm to let it blow in the wind, probably not, you don't need to suck it out the crank case is normally a positive pressure area however if you don't close of the pathways into your air input system you'll get unfiltered air into the engine.

Will it make a mess, probably yes. The oil will remain a vapor all the time its hot enough and some will only cool down once its out in the fresh air. So your engine will get oily and your drive dripped on and all those other bad things.

All in all sounds like more trouble than its worth, one really has to ask why do you want to do it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanted to do it to stop hot oily air getting into the air intake - that way improve perfomance and MPG even? Closing off the inlet on the air intake won't be too much of a problem. I hoped the breather would take care of making sure the engine bay doesn't get oily and no gets in the air.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Oily air in the intake should not be much of a problem as long as its only slight oil and not a drenching.

Your inter-cooler should deal with cooling the hot air from crank case fumes and the heats that's generated going through the turbo.
I suppose you could put a larger inter-cooler on if you wished.

You could also make sure all the air ducting that's forcing air over the inter-cooler is in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts