VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Looks like I need to remove my cylinder head so just looking for a bit of advice as I've never attempted this before, is there any special tools or sockets I need to get? Also is it a crapper of a job to do?

Thanks in advance any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
823 Posts
Putting the timing back requires Vagcom to set it up properly as the TDI has dynamic ECU controlled timing. The exhaust clamps can be a pig but you can just unbolt the side of the turbo instead. I'd recommend removing the turbo and manifolds after you've removed the head. I can't think of anything else offhand.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If it's any consolation mate, I'm in the middle of doing mine at the mo too!

The old head is off, just waiting for some good weather to put the new one on and time her up!

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
If it's any consolation mate, I'm in the middle of doing mine at the mo too!

The old head is off, just waiting for some good weather to put the new one on and time her up!
How much did it cost you in parts? what have you done to yours?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
No serious damage to mine, just wear and tear. It's done 240k and smoking a bit. I've got a new set of injectors in there and that hasn't really reduced the smoke, although it has improved performance. So I thought I'd try a recon head on it - last chance saloon really!

Recon head was about £600 (including new head bolts and gaskets/seals).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

I know this is an old post but worth a go - I'm looking for a new cyclinder head for my t4 2.5tdi - any suggestions on where to get a recon one greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hi,

I know this is an old post but worth a go - I'm looking for a new cyclinder head for my t4 2.5tdi - any suggestions on where to get a recon one greatly appreciated !
I got mine from these people.

http://vwenginerecon.co.uk

Whoever you go with, just make sure you give the new head a good check over first to make sure it's nice and clean and any swarf has been blown out. If it's not looking good, send it back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts