VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, ive taken the aux belt off and have got the little v notch on flywheel visable through inspec hole on top of bellhousing. fuel pump marks are lined up but there is also a notch on the inside edge of camshaft sprocket (fuel pump end of engine) and I can't see what its supposed to line up with.
Pump belt was changed not long ago so its just the timing belt im trying to do.
Am i right in thinking that there are no timing marks at the cambelt end ?
Any help muchly appreciated !

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Brave man...
I wouldn't touch a cam belt unless i was 100% sure on everything to do with it as gets expensive if wrong. Plus I believe you need Vagcom to time these up.
Sorry no help here but good luck. T:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
The only true marks are on the flywheel that you have already aligned.There is no true mark on the pump its only a rough guide.The notch on the sprocket on the pump end of the cam is no reference to anythig as this sprocket does not locate to a keyway in the cam and is held in position by the tightness of the bolt only.Other end of the cam sprocket is a taper fit and relies on the bolt tension to hold it in place once again.
A dial gauge is needed to set the pump timing roughly then it can be adjusted later and checked only with VW diagnostic tool or VAGCOM.Pump has a locking bolt built into it on the lower front side with the black U shaped thingy behind it.

The job you are attempting is far from a usual cambelt job.

Its quite allot to explain really and im really busy today and just about to go out,i would search through the cambelt threads to see if you can learn any more.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers aggieT4,
Got there in the end, the guide I'd found on the net for the 2.5 ACV engine said that there would be a mark on the flywheel, which would be a "zero with a line through it", there was no such mark on mine but I eventually found the mark which was a V notch cut into the rear of the flywheel (really hard to see, especially if your looking for something else). I took the rocker cover off just to make sure I was at TDC by looking at the cam lobes, and when I took crank pulley off there were 2 paint marks underneath on rear cam cover cowel and crank which lined up exactly which reassured me some more.

As I say, im not touching the pump belt as its been done recently. The timing belt looked like it had also been done not too long ago but the water pump looked fairly old. I've got the old belt off now and replaced the water pump, just got to fit the new belt tomorrow or monday depending on weather.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The correct way is to remove the pump belt.

You set the flywheel to the marker for TDC. Then insert the alignment tool into the camshaft end, which you need the pump drive pulley removed for.

This is the tool in place. With the pulley removed. This is the only way you can get the timing belt in the right place, unless you locked the camshaft before removing the old one. But i would still set it properly as the old belt may not have held it in the correct place to start with.

You then fit the timing belt, tension it correctly and tighten the cambelt pulley to the camshaft.

Then you remove the tool, check the alignment a few times by hand, fit the pump pulley and just hand tighten the pulley bolt. Set the pump to the correct position using a DTI in the timing port, i also found a digital vernier would do it just fine. Lock the pump by removing the locking tab, tension the pump belt, torque up the pulley to the camshaft, REMEMBER to unlock the pump and check the timing by rotation it a few times by hand.

You will notice once you have set the pump timing using a DTI that the mark on the housing is just a starting point guide, and i found if you set it to this mark it wont start....

If you need any info give me a shout, i have a manual with torques settings etc, i did mine last weekend.

You then need to hook it up to VagCom to check the timing once warmed up. It will usually need adjustment!

This is a brief insight, not a guide by any means..... There are a few bit you need to do, such as counter hold the pump pulley while torquing it up.

James

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All back together and running as sweet as it was before. Apart from not being able to find the timing mark at first, everything is not too bad to do, but i only did the timing belt,tensioner and water pump. not sure how much more difficult it would have been to do the pump belt as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where is the timing mark on the injector pump. I've found one notch on the tooth side of the damper part of the pulley but nothing to align it to. My belt broke, so I'm in the dark as to the settings

Thanks,
J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts