VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove and then re torque the crank pulley bolt on the Transporter T4 TDI while it’s on the ground on Axle stands ? considering the amount of torque that’s needed I’m not sure if it’s possible to get enough leverage being low to the ground and rolling around on the floor. Just thinking of the possibilities of doing the job (New Cam) myself but sadly have no access to a ramp. Cheers all

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would that be the tool that holds the crank pulley while you undo/tighten it ? If so I was aware of the need for one of those but what is on my mind is whether or not there’s enough room on axle stands to apply enough force to torque it up. I would probably get hold of an air gun to undo it but not to tighten it. Cheers

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've used that type of tool on the floor with a jack to undo and tighten the crank bolt easy,without that tool you will be wanting a decent air gun but you will still have the problem of retighhtening the bolt on reassembly

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
you don't have to take the crank pulley off to do the cam shaft replacement .

if you remove the bolt fit a new one and a diamond coated washer , can be done to correct torque with it on axle stands

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, OK Brookster thanks for that. I wasn't sure as I've not looked at it properly yet but photos I've seen of the 5cyl Diesel it looks like the tensioner is obscured by that crank pulley so I assumed it necessary to remove it.
I was aware of the bolt and washer needing replacing after removal 👍.
Talking of Camshaft replacement, is there a running in procedure needed when starting up for the first time ? I have heard of "Cam Burn" which involves running the engine at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes from cold ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts