VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wondering if sum1 can help out. Ive just recently rebuilt a 2.5 tdi engine new bottom end.
Pump marks up as normal. But like a muppet when refitting the fuel pump sprocket forget forgot to tighten the fuel pump sprocket up.

Consequently pump timing is miles out and van wont start. Got tdc on no1 cylinder tried lining up fuel pump sprocket with line on pump body and still no go. Is thete any way of resetting the pump without vagcom or a dti. If so please explain. Ive read threads about people using tyre depth guges etc.

If the fuel pump timing is out will the van start at all?

2.5 tdi 2002 model my delphi software doesnt work so no fault codes.

·
Registered
725 Posts
hey dude.

When we changed my cam belt we knocked the timing out so it wouldn't start. All we did was turn the pump until we felt it pick up. Set it as close as possible so it started, then got on with the laborious task of timing it.

Im no expert though so Im sure some of the other chaps who know a hell of a lot more than me will explain further:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is how I did mine.
Get the flywheel on the TDC mark . Remove the pump pulley from the camshaft, check the slot is level with the top of the head, there is a tool its just a piece of plate the correct thickness .
refit pulley and belt but leave loose so you can turn the pulley but not the cam, tension belt line up rear idler pointer level with head. . Look on the back of the pump pulley (engine side) there is a small square mark , line this up with the line on the front of the pump body/bracket.( can't remember exactly but its quite clear)
Tighten up cam sprocket.
Make sure the battery is good and charged and the starter is good( this is where I failed.)
Try to start.
If it don't slacken the pulley again and move slightly . keep trying till it starts
You can get a finer adjustment buy increasing tension on idler and reducing on the tensioner and visa versa. make sure the arrows on the tensioner line up exactly.

Get it on vagcom or similar. Mine was 5degrees retarded but still ran quite well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also after my top end rebuilt we had to tow it to get it to start, you have to build up oil pressure and get the fuel up to the injectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts