VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, firstly, great Forum, top work from all!

I am hoping somebody can help me out. I recently bought a T reg 2.5TDi T4. Nice van which needs some TLC, I wanted a project and I appear to have one! However I wasn't hoping for engine issues. The van has just clocked 167,000 and has had the CamBelt Oil and Air filters done recently (Last 3000miles)

I have been all over since buying her but have come across what I think is an oil leek and what I can only describe as a 'ticking' from possibly the Turbo.

From underneath there appears to be oil on the back of the left hand fan (as you look at it from the front) as well as oil covering various pipes in the engine and collecting in drips in hollows all over the left side of the engine (drivers side). There is no large swimming pool of oil on the drive but there is a drip patch about 50p size.

Gone through 5litres of oil in about 2000 miles, so just want to know if anyone has had any similar issues?

I have heard of Turbo pipes getting blocked up and causing oil to disperse through the breather pipe, also that it may be rings (piston??) The latter sounds expensive!

Any help or information would be much appreciated, if you have lasted this long through my ramblings!

Cheers in advance

Dave:confused:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
give engine a steam clean will then give you a more acurate area of where its actualy coming from .

i would remove the pipe from air fillter to turbo just check for exsesive oil in the pipe , a thin film is aceptable .

if yours is the 88bhp it wont have a intercooler but if it has just remove one of the pipes see if there any exses oil in there also .

check turbo for shaft play , side to side movment 0.5mm tolrence same for in and out movment , if that all looks good i would have a leak down test done , compreshion test that will determine if the rings are on there way out and you may catch them before it scores the block and distroys your bottom end .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to isobelle and paul ss.

I am taking the van to a friend who deals in commercial vehicles in the morning and hopefully he will be able to help.

Steam clean sounds like a good idea and I will make sure to check the turbo for play, mine is the 88hp model with no intercooler so will perform the air filter to turbo check first thing tomorrow.

I hope its not the rings then! is this an engine out and dismantle job? New engine!!??

Thanks for the pointers, I will let you know how tomorrow goes.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
to change piston rings its going to be a ball ache due to tilt on engine , you maybe able to get away with removing engine mounts and leaving gearbox mount on and tillting engine , couldnt realy say as never had to do one .

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Are you getting loads of smoke? If it were burning all this oil you'd be getting a lot of (blue?) smoke from the exhaust. Mine smokes a bit, but doesn't really go through much oil so I reckon if yours was burning 5 litres every 3000 miles your's would be like that car outa whacky races. Sounds like a leak to me.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
My van uses a small amount of oil (about 1ltr every 3-4k miles). It sometimes has a 007 moment when I rev it after 1st startup in the morning. After that it is fine.
Does sound like a leak to me as well. Does it leave any traces on the driveway/place where you park up?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I have been to my man with the know how, having dealt with vans of all shapes and sizes for years I feel he knows his stuff.

And.......its good news! The oil leak is just the engine burning a bit of oil and he informs me this is common with this engine, (kindly filling up my Magnatec from a big barrel too!).

As for the ticking we had the turbo in bits just to check and it is fine, the 'ticking' as I put it is just down to the engine wear (cam noise) and should be better (well hidden) once I re-fit the sound deadening under the bonnet and front panels.

There is no amount of oil where I park and the only reason i noticed was when I took the grill off to try and fix a wobbly light so all is well.

He said if the rings were shot then I would know about it and as its still got plenty of power there is little to worry about, ill just keep her topped up with free oil!

Many thanks for all the input from everyone, much appreciated. Now the mechanics are sound its time to set to with the inside and body work. I'll post some photos once I get going.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
soundproofing is a good option, the cab and engine bay can both be done, loads of threads on site of others soundproofing

at least there was no major engine problem, phewT:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I am on the search for some sound proofing options! However......the story goes on. After changing steering rods and ends the van was tracked and after a drive down the motorway was pulling to the right!!!
So back to another dealership and they have sorted it, however comments from the mechanic suggested it was the piston rings on their way out!!

So don't know what to think now! I think I will just wait until I can afford to do something about it or it all goes pear shaped before then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts