VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, been looki g at a 2001 plate 2.5 TDi LWB that's local to me. But there are some bits missing from the engine. Egnition switch & air mass switch as I've been told. And the air box. How easy are these to get & could it be expensive to sort?

The body work is a bit tatty but solid so could fix it up no probs as long as its not gona cost a lot in the engine

Cheers

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The air mass meter (usually called MAF) can be had for £70 new.
The air box could be tricky to find but you could always install an aftermarket filter in its place.

Im not sure what you mean when you say ignition switch? The actual part where you insert the key? If it is this part, these are around £15 if i remember rightly.

Why are all of these parts missing? These engines are generally reliable but if they are faulty they are often expensive to repair. Tread carefully.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
the key is chipped/programmed to the ecu, so without it you wont get it to start, same with the maf etc. What if you buy it replace all those bits then the engine is useless ??

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
I was toying with the idea of buying this, but as spares. If you haven't heard the engine running or test driven it, you've little idea of what you're buying. :eek: :no

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The air mass meter (usually called MAF) can be had for £70 new.
The air box could be tricky to find but you could always install an aftermarket filter in its place.

Im not sure what you mean when you say ignition switch? The actual part where you insert the key? If it is this part, these are around £15 if i remember rightly.

Why are all of these parts missing? These engines are generally reliable but if they are faulty they are often expensive to repair. Tread carefully.
Its advertised locally to me and the guy bought it as a running van but on delivery its got parts missing so he is selling it.

the key is chipped/programmed to the ecu, so without it you wont get it to start, same with the maf etc. What if you buy it replace all those bits then the engine is useless ??
The ignition is fine its something under the bonnet?? not quite sure what?

I was toying with the idea of buying this, but as spares. If you haven't heard the engine running or test driven it, you've little idea of what you're buying. :eek: :no
I know what you mean mate, I very nearly bought it but didn't, although he has put it back up for sale. may be a engine change? some body work and it could be a nice wee van.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
without driving the van there's no telling what it's like. I feel for the fella that has it if he's been done over like he has, but no reason the next person too as well. if it were the same engone code as mine I'd have bought it and rebuild the block and gearbox to have as a replacement some day. but it's too risky IMO to look at putting it back on the road.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i had some parts missing from my van and was quit pleased when the genuine bits from vw were not to over priced.maybe its worth giving them a try.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too late now looks like he has sold it to some1. ill just put the cash in to my SWB T4 T: T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts