VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just had a company do an engine swap for me from my old van that was written off in an accident, to another van that had a cam belt go and hence a damaged engine. Since they fitted my old engine to the new (new to me) van it idles very badly but not when cold strangely!

When I start the engine from completely cold, it can take two or three minutes before the poor idling starts, but before that it sounds normal, and then as soon as I go over 1000rpm it sounds normal again. If I turn the engine off for a bit and then on again, it will do the same thing but sooner than from stone cold, within about 20 seconds or so.

The guys who did the engine change seem stumped after apparently having spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem when the engine change was complete.

I've read lots about timing, bad fuel, fuel system, wiring looms etc but neither I or any mechanic I've had look at it or spoken to can solve my issue.

Help please someone! The garage have said they will look at it again but if they couldn't figure it out in the first place I dont know how they will do it now, and I need the van for work so cant just leave it with them really.

Of course it's down to them to sort it as they told me they could do the swap and that's what I've paid for, but I just wonder if there is someone out there who knows exactly what this might be.

Here is a link to a video of the issue, to be honest the engine sounds a lot worse in real life, but you can still hear that its not right

Thanks everyone in advance... Dan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Dan,
Did the garage tell you what the pump timing was on VCDS? If they can't tell you this I suspect they don't know what they are doing on these engines. You'll be surprised how many don't.
Was there anything else changed on the engine like injectors etc? Did they do the timing belt (Engine side).
If so did they use the proper timing tools or white paint to mark where the old belts where?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the response, no I wasn't informed of the pump timing on VCDS, although doesn't mean they didn't know it, haven't been involved with it, just gave them the two vans and let them get on with the transplant of my old engine in to my new van. I don't know if the injectors were changed, but the timing belt definitely was, although I dont know what is meant by timing belt engine side, I thought there was only one! I don't know if proper timing tools were used, can only assume that they were as it seems like a legit garage, although i'm sure a white mark was mentioned in amongst all of the jargon talk that I mostly didn't really understand.

The problem i've got now is that i've got the van back and am using it, and they have said that they haven't washed their hands of it, but to let them have it back again will probably mean i'll be without it for several days while they continue to trouble shoot, but I need the van for work and am going away in it this weekend.

If they tell me they cant fix it, I don't really know what I am supposed to do about it as i've paid up now and cant afford anymore towards troubleshooting elsewhere. Surely its their responsibility to ensure I have a van with an engine running as smoothly as it was in my old one, which it really was!

·
Registered
413 Posts
To me I suspect they don't understand these engines or they would have easily sorted your problems.
Yes you are right, you paid & they should sort it. In fact they should be sorting it once they knew there was a problem it shouldn't be left to you to try & sort.
The T4 has two belts one on the engine side & one on the pump side both are timed from the pump side & many mechanics don't seem to be able to get their heads around this. So they default to using tippex. This method will not time your van anywhere near the required accuracy. It needs setting using software on a computer normally VCDS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts