VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
If it is registered commercial (N1) then it should be £240ish per year as a light commercial. UNLESS it was registered around the end of 2009 and into 2010 for the first year or so of EURO 5 classification, in which case it will be only £140 per year. If yours is emmissions based (x g/km) as you state then it is not commercial so must be a multivan/Caravelle or possibly an early factory combi. In which case you V5C should say M1 not N1. Tax is banded based on emissions (effectively mpg), so big van-based cars are always expensive. On the plus side you will be allowed to drive at car speeds on A roads and Dual carriageways

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is registered commercial (N1) then it should be £240ish per year as a light commercial. UNLESS it was registered around the end of 2009 and into 2010 for the first year or so of EURO 5 classification, in which case it will be only £140 per year. If yours is emmissions based (x g/km) as you state then it is not commercial so must be a multivan/Caravelle or possibly an early factory combi. In which case you V5C should say M1 not N1. Tax is banded based on emissions (effectively mpg), so big van-based cars are always expensive. On the plus side you will be allowed to drive at car speeds on A roads and Dual carriageways
Its a 2003 (53) plate so one of the very last of the t4s my V5 says M1 so I suspect it is correct at £330 a year, I queried it today with the DVLA but they said it was correct and were very helpful in explaining how it is calculated. it just seem very expensive for a vehicle that is not a massive fuel guzzler, some range rovers are less than half that in price, just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
anything before 2002, there are only two bands, below 1550 cc and above.. above is around 245 a year.. in 2003, it all changed and there are a lot of anomalies.. some paying £130 and some as much as £500..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope the op does not mind me asking on this post but I am looking to buy my first t5 for weekends away with mountain bikes etc and was considering buying a kombi or a minibus so I could have a second row of seats. Does this mean if I buy one of these I am going to be in the same boat with very high road tax? Has it got to be a panel van to be £240? Hope you can help a newbie :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2007 shuttle 2.5 auto and mine is £545. It’s all down to the classification. It hurt me the first year I bought it as it was a disabled vehicle so they got free tax. I couldn’t check until it was reclassified to plg.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2007 t5 kombi is registered as an M1 car and emissions of 215 g/km means £325 Road tax. A few more g/km and it would be over £500!

Sent from my KOB-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Simple, its either M1 or N1, and the engine/emissions. Not difficult at all, ask whats on the V5.

M1 you pay more.

Also the classification dictates speed limits that apply, N1 being commercial, M1 being passenger vehicle.

There are blips but i cant recall details, theres a couple of years in the 2000's where stupidly high charges apply to M1.

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
2002 2.5tdi (88) N1 'converted' to Motor caravan with the DVLA, just paid £260 for the year (and 'normal' speed limits too)

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts