VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My auto box tends to flare between gear changes. It does not always happen but when it does it tends to slip (over rev) between gear changes and then makes the change. Is this a common problem?. Could it be the auto box or perhaps a solenoid. I only had the transmission fluid changed approx 1500 miles ago.

Any info or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

KLXNSW

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a similar intermitant problem on my 2.5tdi auto......also used to get vibration coming through the steering just before a gear change ( last gear ) usually about 42mph ..Had it checked out and it turned out to be the Torque converter....£900.00 + vat or £1400.00+ for complete rebuild ...I went for the latter as mine had done 200.000 miles......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T4andy, thanks for reply. May consider lucas slip fix to see if that helps whilst i consider
Rebuild. Was your problem intermittent or continuous.
Cheers. David

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi David, No mine was an intermitant problem......All I would say is if you only change the torque converter, ( if that is the problem with yours ) and then your gearbox need rebuilding after, then you will have to change the torque convertor again...costing loads...Hope this helps

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh, I hear what your saying!!!.

Sometimes you feel as if you suffer from shizophernia!!, you love the van - very practicle but hate the reliability!!!

Cheers

KLXNSW

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought my auto 9 years ago with 130,000 miles on the clock, and only just had a rebuild 15,000 miles ago at 190,000, It only really needed a torque converter, but opted for a full rebuild.....I must admit driving an auto is so smooth and relaxing, I think it`s worth it..T:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey All,

Had my mechanic do a service on the transporter 2 days ago. He increased the boost and the transmission now behaves normal. Good clean gear changes with no flaring or slippage.. Hope it lasts

This may help someone elseA:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi
I live in OZ and am having a similar problem with my auto in my 2006 multivan 2.5 tdi,where did you get the boost increased,and does anyone know if you can do it youself/.
marc from jindabyne nsw australia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.