VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a problem where the starter ring appeared to have a tooth missing - sometimes would not catch on the starter. About 3 weeks ago would not catch at all, so have taken torque converter out and had a new ring gear fitted. The old one did not look that bad, but was some wear on the first mm or so or of the teeth,(Torque converter needed a re-build as lockup was a bit slow). Sent it off to Sussex Auto who rebuilt it confirming clutch was burnt out, and fitted new starter ring.

Have re-assembled every ting back into the van, but still does not engage. Have fitted a new (Lucas recon) and also tried the starter that was on it.

When the box was fitted the torque converter was correctly fitted to gearbox, but when the box was bolted to the engine the torque converter had to be moved about 12mm towards the flywheel plate to pull don on the three studs, is this normal?

Does any one have any ideas - there does not appear to be any play in the crank thrust bearing, Looking on the VW parts there does not appear to be the option for adjusting the thickness of washers of the flywheel. Have checked the starters and both are throwing out full and yes a new starter bush was fitted. There engine to gearbox is fully flush.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I can't answer your question, however i have a very similar issue on my 2.5 auto.

My van is in at the moment, ring gear has gone. I replaced the starter motor a few weeks back. Was ok for the first week then stopped engaging.

Mechanic says he can replace the ring gear on the torque converter and bush. My only concern is that its the torque converter is causing this.

I don't want him to put it all back together and in a month it happens again. As its around £800 for the job already without replacing the TC.

Is there any understanding on why the ring gear can go like that? Could it be a problem with the torque converter seizing or having too much resistance when cold?

thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
So much nonsense with these slush boxes, and little knowledge as those with problems convert to manual. I've driven both and the manual is much tougher feeling as well as presumably getting better fuel economy, had one with 420000 on it, looked brand new inside, 200000 is the best i have heard an auto getting.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Well its been in the garage a week. Needs new ring gear, gearbox has to come out.

Not sure now whether to get the torque converter replaced at the same time, its another £500 if so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's an important bronze bush that seats the nose of the starting motor. Once worn the nose is no longer supported and grinds teeth off fly. A new or old motor both need this bearing/bush to function. Its pressed into inner bellhousing and is awkwardly replaceble once starter removed..even in the rain/dark.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Had a problem where the starter ring appeared to have a tooth missing - sometimes would not catch on the starter. About 3 weeks ago would not catch at all, so have taken torque converter out and had a new ring gear fitted. The old one did not look that bad, but was some wear on the first mm or so or of the teeth,(Torque converter needed a re-build as lockup was a bit slow). Sent it off to Sussex Auto who rebuilt it confirming clutch was burnt out, and fitted new starter ring.

Have re-assembled every ting back into the van, but still does not engage. Have fitted a new (Lucas recon) and also tried the starter that was on it.

When the box was fitted the torque converter was correctly fitted to gearbox, but when the box was bolted to the engine the torque converter had to be moved about 12mm towards the flywheel plate to pull don on the three studs, is this normal?

Does any one have any ideas - there does not appear to be any play in the crank thrust bearing, Looking on the VW parts there does not appear to be the option for adjusting the thickness of washers of the flywheel. Have checked the starters and both are throwing out full and yes a new starter bush was fitted. There engine to gearbox is fully flush.

Cheers
Did you put the box back into the car yourself? If so, did you make sure the 2 guide sleeves between the engine and gearbox are there? Without these sleeves, your converter will not be centered and you risk damaging the flex plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts