VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my timing in VagCom, it is outside of the upper limit which I think means its too advanced. Which way do I rotate the cam sprocket after loosening to retard the timing back into the specified limits? Should the top of the sprocket rotate towards the front or back of the van?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It should tell you under the graph if it is too far advanced or retarded, no need to guess.
To retard the timing turn pulley clockwise or as you have put it , top of pulley moves to the rear of the van.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I was reading the graph, just didn't know which way to adjust the pulley. Cheers

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Be aware that too advanced can also mean too retarded. In that if you keep advancing it, it'll show retarded. It's a bit wierd but if you picture a clock face to compare it against with 12 o clock being spot on timing. Is it 45 minutes past the hour (advanced) or 15 minutes to the hour (retarded). Two ways of saying the same thing.
My timing was (and still is for some reason!) unsettled on the VCDS graph. I advanced it as above until the graph said retarded and it helped and settled it down a bit more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts