VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAve an 03 888special. Its the 88bhp 2.5TDi.

Anyways, went for a trip to SW Ireland for two weeks and the temperture has not hit 90 since. spent two weeks there and the van takes over ten minutes to even move the need on the temp guage.

Sits at 70ish contantly until i give it some beans and it will rise slightly, or cruze and it will fall.

Thought it was the thermostat so changed it tonight night and still no cange.

Both temp sensors(2pin blue and 4pin green) have been changed a couple of months back.

Not loosing any water.

Heater matrix still works a treat.

Struggling to think what else it could be.:(

Any thoughts would be grand!:confused:

CheersT:

Mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not 100% about the 88 T4 but the i had same problem with 2.5tdi LT35 and it was the a vacumm valve on the return to the Rad from the heaters.

Took me ages to suss it out but was def that and now sits normal.

It'll be a bit different on the T4 i have a 88 sitting on my mothers drive which i think i'm going to break i'll try and get over there at the weekend and have a look.

A new 1 from VW is about 30quid but i got mine from a audi breakers think they are on lots of TDI's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers mate,

That could be it.

Does anyone know where the vacuum valve is on the 88bhp T4?

Would like to try and get it done tonight.T:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just taken a look in my lunck break. Can see vac hoses going to a spaghetti just above the header tank and 1 pipe off behind the dash prsumabley to the heater matrix.

Geuss thuis could be leading me to the culprit...any thoughts guys.

If the guage is Foobard what would cause the engine to run cold?
The heater runs fine, if a little sluggish to come to temp.:confused:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't think it'll be behind the dash should be in the engine bay. I think it works with the electric water pump look for that and follw the pipes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi just had a look on the 88 and couldn't find the vac valve but did find the electric water pump and i think that's where the vac valve is on the LT. So i'm guessing the pump must be normally closed to stop the water from just flowing round at random. Check to see if the pump is there as it may have been bypassed with a peice of pipe if stopped working, it's under the rad. It might be knackered and just letting water past.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pump is there.

After 80ish miles this morning, the top rad hose is hot but the bottom hose was still only warm (thermostat side). the pipe going in and out of the aux water pump was hot either side sugesting that it is indeed flowing strait through.

Has anyone else seen this problem before. the van is only 03 so its not an old dog.
heard a new one was about 100quid ish.

Cheers for taking a look.

Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone else heard of an electric water pump running stait through, causing there van to run cold??:(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved!:ILU:

Despite changing the temp sensor (4 pin green) for a new pattern part by GSF only a month ago. I decided to try changing it again for a vw one.

Problem sorted.

I would suggest if you change sensors stick to the VW originals, they may be more but at least they work!;)

Anyways

Cheers for the help....

MarkT:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts