VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to replace the steering pump on my 1997 2.5tdi ACV Multivan but cant figure out how to get the belt off. This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In6C08Us92o just pulls the belt down and the tensioner gives enough to slip it of the power steering pulley but when I try it doesn't give at all.

Am I missing something or is the tensioner just stuck?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Sounds like it might be a bit stuck, note also that the bar he is using has two lugs that can be engaged with the tensioner pulley to pre-tension it for re-fitting. might also help un-stick it if that's the problem

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advice on how I might refit the belt without this special tool? I'm not finding much info online about refitting the belt and the access is so bad to the tensioner that I dont really know what I'm dealing with.

Any advice greatly appreciated on this one, the steering is a bit too heavy without the pump, certainly around cornwall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi can anyone do me a diagram of how to fit the new belt. I'm working on a van that had its one snap before i got it and it's difficult finding info on how and where the belt goes round.
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to get the belt off in the end even with a knackered tensioner. I just pinged the steering pulley off the shaft and pulled it back on when I was done. Not even that hard in the end.

MeribelT4: The routing on the ACV is as drawn here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,
Any tips on moving the tension pulley. I've got the belt routed (mines got an extra wheel for the AC) but its just too tight to get it on properly. I dont know which way, or how to move the tensioner! I understand it can be done with a spanner or a screwdriver but which way am i tugging it?!
Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know these engines that well but I'd guess that your tensioner is knackered. Not sure I can offer any more advice other than whats been mentioned above but maybe someone else can?

·
Registered
689 Posts
the tensioner can be pretty difficult to move and needs a sizeable screwdriver even when it's not stuck, you have to give it some and i found it easier, although a bit dangerous resting the blade on the bottom of the belt/tensioner and levering against that.
The tensioner goes forwards as per the red arrow, the blue lines are where you will need to put your weapon of choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts