VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to have a go a changing the dreaded glow plugs today as I was going to change the lights also. Took the van up the local car club about 1230 and stated the tasked about 1pm. There are two nuts hidden in each side wing the top one is a b-gger to get off. Two wing bumpers panels which should just pull off were stuck solid took a very long time to get these off. I then lost two off the four bolts securing top bumper to the service support bar. Undetered I carried on a finally got the bumper off and found the two inserts for the foothold supports were bust, great. Then the lights came off, easy bit at last. Removed relevant resevoirs for access and finally got everyting into the service position. Then I couldn't work out how to remove the rail/cables in front of the inlet manifold. So I am at the point where I am stuck :( . Decided nothng was really going my way today so I would just put it back together change the lights and go home. Bad luck continues I just assumed the filaments would be a straight swap, wrong!!!! what an idiot!!!!! So didn't even get the lights changed. (it was dark now so needed light bulbs) Well decided it has to come apart again to fit the lights and repair the footstep inserts. So I will order the parts and then TRY AGAIN. So got to the point were I had the van in the service position and then got stuck when in come to remove the gubbins lying accross the front of the exhaust manifold. Anyone let me know what to do from this stage?

All rebuilt just about to leave and the bonnet wouldn't close :* luckily that was a quick fix. Then on the way out the building there was an issue with the door the lock was playing up and it took me 20 minutes to lock up. :( After acheiving nothing all day, decided to treat myself to a KFC :) At least on my next attempt it will be a hell of a lot quicker just need detailed advice on what to do once in the service position. I:

Oh and I had to pay £25 annual subs for the privelage of all the work today :D:D:D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Lets just hope that you have more luck with carpeting with the advice that i gave you yesterday!!:)

Steven
Westcountry Campervans
Redruth
Cornwall
www.westcountrycampervans.co.uk

Insulation, soundproofing, ply lining, vinyl floors, carpeting, windows, Cannon's Forge rock n roll beds, campervan conversions and much more!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Steve,

Well it will be a couple of days before I try that, "if you don't try you don't succeed", ha!!! :D

Cheers Bob

Lets just hope that you have more luck with carpeting with the advice that i gave you yesterday!!:)

Steven
Westcountry Campervans
Redruth
Cornwall
www.westcountrycampervans.co.uk

Insulation, soundproofing, ply lining, vinyl floors, carpeting, windows, Cannon's Forge rock n roll beds, campervan conversions and much more!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I think I shall take that offer up, I will have to order a couple of footstep inserts, so at least a couple of days before trying the job again, so I will pop over Monday/Tuesday sometime.

Cheers Bob

I have a VW service manual at the unit, once again you can always pop in for a coffee and a chat!

·
Registered
736 Posts
sorry you are having a nightmare i started first thing in morning took me 5 hours to do this job, just ask if need any help T:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Paul,

Just one of those days I guess where :* all went right :D I am going to have another go, I got as far as getting the bumpers lights etc off and van into the service position. I then looked down at the line/cable going across the front of the inlet manifold and couldn't work out how this came off. I didn't want to pull it off in case I damaged anything and couldn't see how it unclipped. Bit of a t:*t as I was almost there. So if could could detail how to proceed from there for me that would be great. I have a torque wrench and 1/4 10mm deep socket, did you need any extension bars etc? I would be peeved to get in there a second time and find I dont have the tools to reach the glow plugs.

Cheers Bob

sorry you are having a nightmare i started first thing in morning took me 5 hours to do this job, just ask if need any help T:

·
Registered
736 Posts
the two plastic clips holding wiring in front of inlet manifold you need to use a panel clip removing tool or screwdriver and lever the outer part out which will release the inner part whiich was expanded by outer part when pushed in, if that makes sense, the clip stays connected to the wiring loom, these are difficult to get back together as are very hard to see, yes you will need various length 1/4 drive extensions you may need a universal joint as well cant remember if i used one though
the only other thing you will want is a mirror as plugs are difficult to see also helps to align new plug with hole when refitting

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I now have new clips, mirrors etc to make the job easier. I know it is not required but wouldn't removing the radiator make access a whole lot easier?

·
Registered
736 Posts
If radiators and fan assembly removed would make the job very easy to do but its a lot more work and not really necessary i would not advise this just be patient and give yourself about 5 hours

1 - 12 of 12 Posts