VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem with my 2003 888X 2.5TDi is that during a journey (after about 10-15mins) the van starts to lose power to the point that it will not go above 2,500 – 3,000 RPM when driving in gear, but will rev higher than this with the clutch in.
If you stop the van, turn it off and try to start it again it only turns over but won’t start. Turn it off again and it starts up perfectly, going over 4,000 RPM in gear, It will do this for another 10-15mins before losing power again and refusing to go above2,500 -3,000 RPM again.

This problem has only started since the fan belt snapped back in January of this year at 80,300 miles and the head was rebuilt.

When I got the van back the engine did not tick over smoothly was hunting, and the van wouldn’t go above 65mph.
There was also the starting problem whereby on the first start it wouldn’t rev above 2,500 rpm, second time it wouldn’t start and 3rd time it was fine. A loose hose pipe seemed to rectify the lack of speed and hunting, but the starting issues remained.

It is only during the last six to eight weeks that it has started to loses power whilst driving, and has become a real pain when you find yourself going up a hill at 40mph holding lorries up, then having to pull over and restart it twice to get the power back.

I’ve had the van from new and its now only got 87,000 miles on the clock, but it’s really driving me nutty at the moment.

Any suggestions to cure this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sounds like you need to get your injector pump timing checked out, using the proper equipment or VagCom/VCDS software & cable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As above sounds like your fuel filter is drawing air and not giving you enough fuel have you also checked air filter as may not be getting enough air ? Hope you get it sorted good luck T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:blgThanks for suggestions.

Pump timing was the first thing checked when the problem appeared - but was found to be within parameters.
I changed the air filter and fuel filter yesterday, spayed a tin of EGR & Turbo cleaner through the engine then took off the EGR valve and cleaned it. Blanked off EGR as well.

It still only starts every second attempt, and during 30 mile journey to work this morning had to turn it off twice to restore the power, as before.:(

NO CHANGE!!!

Any more ideas gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Pump timing was the first thing checked when the problem appeared - but was found to be within parameters.
Checked by who & how?
It's probably fine but has it been checked on a computer?
Also I take it that someone has plugged in a diagnostic reader to see if any ECU codes are present?

Next thing I'd do would be live reading from all the temperature sensors. ideally you want to read them all first thing when the engine is cold (make sure they all read roughly the same) and then watch them all rise as the engine warms up.
While you're at it you want to take live readings of the turbo boost - Actual and Expected.

Probably best if you could a local bod who has a laptop, lead and software rather than paying a dealer at £75 and hour to do this, or buy the kit and set yourself up with a laptop (or tablet I suppose) connected to your diagnostic port.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Check the cat or even better remove it ,if the cat get s clogged up it restricts the outlet of the exhaust thus the engine cannot rev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whopee!!!!!!! Think Ive cracked it!!!
Moaning to guy at work how it starts/wont start/starts/wont start Etc Etc and demonstrating to him with bonnet up. He spots Anti shudder valve is cause of problem. When its running and you turn it off valve flicks fully closed and stays there, when you try to start it, it wont cos valve is shut. When ignition turned off valve flicks back to open, so next time it starts.
Suspect valve may be cause of lack of power also so disconnected plastic ram and clamped valve in fully open position with cable tie.
Drove home 30 miles. Fantastic!! No loss of power/ didnt have to stop to restart it. Just like the old days!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for help - it was related to airflow/EGR valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts