VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Can anyone shed light on the cost of the road tax for a panel van 2008 2.5tdi MANUAL?? I've been on dvla and it's confusing me a wee bit, doesn't take much tbh lo....
My pal has a early2006 2.5 kombi auto and only pays £290 ish tax not the near £500...

I know the tax after March 2006 changed and some but not not all 2.5tdi incur the much higher bracket but I'm not sure if it was a 'blanket rise' (also people's log books have there is 'm1' or something on log books etc... )
Do some sit at £500 because they are auto/dsg and are deemed as higher polluting band L . And all the manual 2.5 are the lower rate????

Are the panel van 2.5 manuals ALL £290 ?? Just I'm looking around at stuff and was wanting to know more details before wasting anyone's time or being mis informed by the owner even I:

Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not sure if it answers the question but vehicles registered as commercial don't come under the same classes as private vehicles

Eg

Crosa 1.3 car - £35 low tax
Crosa van 1.3 same year- £130

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh right , I'm seeing 2.5 at various ages but I'm kind of skipping past them on the searches thinking they are with the £500 tax bracket. I know it's only a couple of hundred extra over the other bed bracket but that would go to paying servicing cost each year ( or mods and remaps) I:

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
Panel vans are always the commercial rate.

Only post March 2006 T5s which are classed as cars (Window Van, Shuttle, Kombi, Caravelle) can achieve the higher rates and then you have to but either an auto, 4Motion or a pre 2008 MY 2.5 130PS manual (thats the stinker really as the 174PS manual is lower on CO2 and thus cheaper).

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Panel vans are always the commercial rate.

Only post March 2006 T5s which are classed as cars (Window Van, Shuttle, Kombi, Caravelle) can achieve the higher rates and then you have to but either an auto, 4Motion or a pre 2008 MY 2.5 130PS manual (thats the stinker really as the 174PS manual is lower on CO2 and thus cheaper).
So is the commercial rate always the lower rate for the 2.5 panel van? No matter the year? Sorry for my dumbness T:

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
LGV rate is usually £230 a year or can be discounted to £140 for early adopters of new emission technology.

Car rates will be £285 a year for a 2.5 T5 Window Van/Kombi/Shuttle/Caravelle but can go up higher post March 2006 to £490 for certain models.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Champion I wasn't purposely avoiding the 2.5 in my search was after the march 2006 registration I was kind of skirting past fairly quickly, so I'll put them back on the radar as I've took a kombi away for a week with the kids and it was great plenty of power and the auto box was ok on it also. Would prob prefer a manual on my ' own ' van over the auto (not driven the dsg)....

I'm going to have a look and see what's about, thanks for your help guys!!!T:

Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
A 2006-2009 2.5 Auto will be big tax, a 2010- 2.0 DSG will be lower (it'll be LGV tax as they reclassified the Kombi)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
DSG are amazing but knowing their repair costs i woul never have one outside of warranty.

Wouldnt touch a tiptronic either rarely long lived and problematic.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If the cost of the Road Tax/VED is the deal breaker then you either cannot afford to run a T5 or you need a crowbar to open your wallet.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
my last 2 cars and van are both high tax band £480 per year, the extra £200 its nothing compared to how much i spend on modifications. if you find the right van i would not let it worry you.. also pay 6 monthly and you dont feel the pain..LOL

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
1. If it did 200mph, blew your socks off every time you got in it and looked drop dead gorgeous then I wouldn't mind stumping up £45 a month VED.

2. Given that we're talking about the difference between just not buying a 2006 MY manual 2.5 and any earlier or later version then in the 6 years I've owned mine it's saved me enough money for a holiday

·
Registered
379 Posts
59 plate 2.5, was originally a panel van, VED is standard commercial rate (£19.68 per month). V5 has been changed to 6 seater window van and VED hasn't changed.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
59 plate 2.5, was originally a panel van, VED is standard commercial rate (£19.68 per month). V5 has been changed to 6 seater window van and VED hasn't changed.
Fortunately it never does change. Just be careful about speed limits as it'll still be on van limits - not that there are any police on the roads to pull you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts