VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My van has got reasonable service history and I know the cambelt/water pump were done in December (when I got the van). I believe that a standard service was carried out "recently" as well. However, I am thinking to be on the safe side, I will get a basic service done anyway.

After a lot of reading on here, I am thinking that I may be able to do this myself? I have never serviced any of my cars before, but really would like to give it a try.

I want to change the oil and filter, change the fuel filter and the air and pollen filters.

Have looked around and found this kit on Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400190805255&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT - seems reasonable at £36 delivered for OEM stuff?

Is there anything else I should do while I am at it to be on the safe side? Coolant change?

I have some basic household tools. Are there any other particular tools that I need at all?

Cheers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi bud

You may not save a stack of money carrying out the service. But if you do it yourself, the job will be done right. T:
If you have no previous experience of this type of work, you will definitely enjoy a strong sense of satisfaction for carrying out the service, which is cool. T:
A basic tool kit should do the job, but you may need a 30mm socket for an OEM oil filter.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A decent set of axle stands will be useful for getting under the van to get the under tray off.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi bud

You may not save a stack of money carrying out the service. But if you do it yourself, the job will be done right. T:
If you have no previous experience of this type of work, you will definitely enjoy a strong sense of satisfaction for carrying out the service, which is cool. T:
A basic tool kit should do the job, but you may need a 30mm socket for an OEM oil filter.
Thanks

A decent set of axle stands will be useful for getting under the van to get the under tray off.
Are the £17.99 ones at Halfords good enough (2 tonne)? Or would ramps be better?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thing is with ramps they tilt the van backward; on my driveway thuis is a good thing because the van is virtually level then. Depends where you're planning to do your servicing though. Best to have the van as close to level (front to back and side to side) as you can get it.
With the oil change be prepared to be cleaning oil off everything when you remove the old filter; I try to cover all the bits under and around the filter area with bags first.
Air and pollen filters; piece of cake, fuel filter a bit fiddly especially if you have ABS, the unit makes it a bit tight for access.
Enjoy though, and when you're done I'll book mine in with you so you can get some extra practice. :D

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
your right about the fuel filter being fiddly,did my back in changing mine and had to have 2 weeks off work

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I am looking at the draper two ton stands. They are 16.80 for the pair. Will they be ok?

Also is the standard jack ok to use?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts