VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right,last weekend i started my van,i'd been using it all weekend with no issues,this time it started and cut out after about 20 seconds,it kept turning over and over and after about 15 seconds it fired up but died straight away again..did this a few times. When all was good before this my glow plug light would only stay on for about 3 or 4 seconds and fire up,now its staying in for about 25 seconds and still wont run! Had it recovered back home,tried my spare key,still the same.
Tried it again yesterday after being sat here for a nearly a week,glow plug light stayed on for about 3 seconds and it fired up and ran as it used to!! What could it be? I'm very reluctant to take it anywhere now incase it happens again😕😕

Sorry for the long post🤙

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,499 Posts
1st suggestion, check for air bubbles in the pipework to/from the pump.
Glow plug timer is temp dependent, but a 2.5TDi willl still start at -20C WITHOUT glowplugs (Does take a lot of cranking though...guess how I know!)

Engine "dying" after 1-2 secs is usually Immo problem, but running for 20 seconds is not normal.
Could still be an intermittant Immo prob though.....check with VCDS (If you don't have it, invest in it....BEST 150 quid tool you can own for a TDi!)
50 quid OLD ebay laptop (if you don't own one), 10 quid OBDII cable, and register the "free" VCDS (RossTech) software for $99 to get "full functions". (For what you need at the moment, the freeware version would do....but if you ever want to check/do timing, you need to register it.)

When was the fuel filter changed, and is the "sensor" unit on top of it seating correctly?

There can be a problem with the ring around the ignition switch that detects the fob transponder (and the thin wires connected to it), also, ignition switches have been known to fail....cheap/easy/but fiddly job to replace......but for peace of mind, spending a tenner and taking an hour is never wasted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts