VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i checked my caravelle after reading many threads and I am certain i have a problem with the timing.

When i bought the caravelle it had had the Timing belt done about a year before (Aug 2010)

It sometimes feels a bit sluggish, even for an Auto. Also it sometimes smokes from cold and when under load/ hard acceleration i get a loud noise from the engine. (hard to describe) possibly knocking?

So here are the numbers from VCDS:

Group 000

Group 004
775 /min Engine Speed
0.4 °BTDC Inj. Timing Calculated
6.2 °BTDC Inj. Timing Actual
14.7 % Inj. Timing Valve D. Cycle

Group 005
775 /min Engine Speed
10.2 mg/str Inj. Quantity at Starting
6.2 °BTDC Inj. Timing Actual
88.2°C Coolant Temperature

Group 008
775 /min Engine Speed
0.0 mg/str Inj. Quantity Driver Request
25.4 mg/str Inj. Quantity Torque Limitation
24.2 mg/str Inj. Quantity Smoke Limitation

Group 013
-0.47 mg/str Inj. Quan. cil. 1 dev. from average
-0.02 mg/str Inj. Quan. cil. 2 dev. from average
0.26 mg/str Inj. Quan. cil. 3 dev. from average
-0.26 mg/str Inj. Quan. cil. 4 dev. from average

Group 014
0.66 mg/str Inj. Quan. cil. 5 dev. from average

So the main I get from this is that Requested timing and actual Timing is not within the .5 to 2 that it should be and the Duty cycle is too high. 14.7% not 10%

Also when i try and plot the timing it says it is too far advanced to plot. the value in the box below the graph fluctuates between 112 and 117 roughly.

So I reckon i need to get the pump timing sorted? or does the cam timing need sorting as well?

Anyone recommend garage in North Lincs that know what they are doing?

VW Shorpe (F. Cross) said to check the timing would be the same as doing a cambelt change without doing the parts swap #.5 hours!! i asked if they could put it on the computer but then said it wasn't possible!!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
if you want a trip to clee there is vw audi center on popular road they know the deal and i think crosses just didnt want the work 5 hours to put it on the comp they having a laugh

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they said they couldn't check the timing on the comp, "it would be the same as doing a timing belt to check it" they said, first post should have said 3.5 hours!!

will have a look into clee

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
To set the fuel timing i believe you have to go back to the start so it is pretty much the same procedure as changing the belt. Otherwise the fuel pump may look perfect on the cam, but the cam/crank relationship could still be well out.

My local garage knows the engine well and charged me two hours to re-time mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts