VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just started swopping my turbo to a volvo v70 unit. Used a 4 bolt ahy engine manifold, modified to fit the flow of the v70 turd blower.

The start

the turbo now sits nicely ish on the manifold, will have to remove 2" from the bulk head though:*

also stuck with the downpipe, definatly wont be able to use the old one so the only option now is a volvo v70/s70 downpipe, only prob is that it comes with the cat as 1 unit, so its costs £300+ And even then i will have to butcher it to get it to fit.

Please can somebody help me find a v70/s70 2.5tdi 1996/7-2000 downpipe????

Help stuck now till i get it:(

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Custom fab downpipe any exhauts fabricator will be able to do one! £150 ish , need hot side template first.......... though :ILU:

Good work though very intereseted to see this
unfold:ILU:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
custom made downpipe £100ish

i would get the manifold ported first before fitting :cool: most machine shops charge around 30quid

failing that get your standard manifold ported and adaptor plate mounted on it saves pissing about with bulkhead , downpipe may need little fettling about with but i would say this is the way to go for same returns just bit cheaper option and saves the bulkhead smashing .

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Custom fab downpipe any exhauts fabricator will be able to do one! £150 ish , need hot side template first.......... though :ILU:

Good work though very intereseted to see this
unfold:ILU:
Its going to be easier using something which works allready i.e the v50/v70 downpipe will be a simple bolt on, will only have to fab to mince the downpipe and the zorst together.

few more pics¬

Turbo and manifold going on

150bhp ahy inlet getting measured up for size.

Had to move heater pipework, and move the heater control cable back to get the inlet to fit, Also had to move the odd bit of loom, but will go in no probs H:

Will start hacking the bulk head tomorrow and get some kind of heat shield in. Any suggestions what to use to keep the heat in the engine bay and not on the back of the dash!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
cant you just rivet some steel on there , maybe 2 thin sheats with that fabric heatsheild between them , the fabric stuff is alright but it does burn hence why saying about between to sheets of steel , failing that there is some paint you can get thats supposed to be realy good but cant remeber the name of it , but i no its not orange I:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL: what about heat tape the self adhesive stuff, most boy racer outlets sell it i bet it gets hot down there (ow er, conspiracy dont say anything!!) but how hot?

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
custom made downpipe £100ish

i would get the manifold ported first before fitting :cool: most machine shops charge around 30quid

failing that get your standard manifold ported and adaptor plate mounted on it saves pissing about with bulkhead , downpipe may need little fettling about with but i would say this is the way to go for same returns just bit cheaper option and saves the bulkhead smashing .
Just trial fitting it for now, dont think i will have to do to much to the bulk head nowA:

will whip it all off again tomorrow and get it ported:ILU:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
See if a turbo jacket is available for itT:
If not wrap it in kevlar heat wrapT:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished!! well well well happyA:A:A:

Had some fun and games with the oil feed and return pipe, also forgot to dog one of the clamps up on the oil feed, which ment we had to take it all apart again:* Just need to sort an oil breather filter. Will be fitting v70 injectors next week with a bigger fmic next in a new bumper then back up the long road to chip wizards to remap it againA: Its only running at a max boost of 10psi at the moment, Will be interested to see what bhp we can go for. I think if it gets near 190 i will be pleased! is that expecting a bit to much??

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
:ILU::ILU:Awsome go the swede speed:ILU:

A remaped standard v 70 tdi is 180bhp so 190 + .....well acheivable just whether the turbo can take the boost needed I guess?????? Also the v70 has slightly different cam...... inlet manifold longer runners as well I think?

10psi ? I wonder what the opening pressure of the waste gate is on the volvo unit?

what size downpipe did you go for in the end looks meaty :)

Nice to see them fitted though;) good effort:ILU::ILU:

Youl have to name it the T70

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T70 like that, Managed to get a v70 flange (hot side) then fabed a 2.5" downpipe to it. Was really lucky to get just the flange without the pipe and cat. Also have tech drawings for it now so making it up in the future would be a peice of cake. Its only 8mm mild steel. I dont know why its running at 10psi max at the mo, It sounds awesome only doing 10 psi, so cant wait to here it doing 19psi which i think is sensible? I dont think the head can take much more than 20-21psi?

Also want to change the routing of the induction kit, put on a mk5 golf gti k&n, but the pipe gets a bit squashed under the cylinder. Any other ideas?

·
6,707 Posts
Good going tidy.

The head is the limiting factor indeed but it should last out for a while.
The bottom end is fine for 200 plus. Its the cam bearings that take a beating.

If I were you I'd continue as planned and not worry overly.

The last chap to use PP nozzles and a V70 turbo got 185 clean bhp. wayne said he could take it to 200 but the guy decided against.

Sup to you dude.

Well done.

Ron.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do:ILU: got a spare head any way which got fixed after a belt snapped:* Have got .216 nozells in it now how much bigger are the volvo ones? Worth doing or shall i stick to the .216's?

Good going tidy.

The head is the limiting factor indeed but it should last out for a while.
The bottom end is fine for 200 plus. Its the cam bearings that take a beating.

If I were you I'd continue as planned and not worry overly.

The last chap to use PP nozzles and a V70 turbo got 185 clean bhp. wayne said he could take it to 200 but the guy decided against.

Sup to you dude.

Well done.

Ron.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Will, I'm no expert but I think the standard V70 nozzles are actually smaller than 0.216, but the injectors themselves are different to 102hp ones. Personally I'm gonna run genuine Bosch 0.216 nozzles with V70 injectors (more because I needed the Bosch injector bodies for my 88hp). So not sure if your proposed change would actually improve things from what your currently running??

Well done so far with the mods mate. Watching this and Projekt 200 with great interest!!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finished!! well well well happyA:A:A:

Had some fun and games with the oil feed and return pipe, also forgot to dog one of the clamps up on the oil feed, which ment we had to take it all apart again:* Just need to sort an oil breather filter. Will be fitting v70 injectors next week with a bigger fmic next in a new bumper then back up the long road to chip wizards to remap it againA: Its only running at a max boost of 10psi at the moment, Will be interested to see what bhp we can go for. I think if it gets near 190 i will be pleased! is that expecting a bit to much??
Hi mitch

Can you put it in the egr blank?

LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts