VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, van being driven back from body shop today, being tarted up. mecanic said he noticed small water leak, he topped it up anddrove on, he reckon warning light came on van stopped!
no water, water pump?
any one know what damage this would cause?
2.5tdi

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
waterpump is driven by cambelt,if its seized/thrown stripped belt:confused:
all cambelt/pulley etc have to come off to change waterpump(mines just started leaking again,only been on 18month)
your gonna have to see what damage has been done,sorry dude:(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ouch sounds nasty, just had belts done 1000 miles or ago
gonna have to get it towed back await bad news

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi. My water pump went recently and it went so bad the bottom gog went all wobbly. This caused the Cam belt to rub on the casing and it almost snapped. :eek:

Towing the van would be the safer option. John.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for advise, van is being towed home now. wont run, turns over but wont run.
lets hope it aint so bad in light of day
anyone know any good mobile mechanics that know there way round a t4 in gloucestershire?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all the b elts were changed, the garage didnt change water pump or the feul pump belt sad it wasnt nessary.
since learnt its best to change pump with belts,
also i heard not changing feul pump belt can lead to starting problems, smokin etc?
any truth in that?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
phoo garage then mate now you will be paying for the job twice thanks to them and water pump from TPS is under £40 its a no brainer IMO I suggest you have a moan and see how you get on as far as im aware vw recommend water pump on cambelt change but dont quote me might be worth a ring to local dealer first good luck with it mate T:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I had a complete timing belt set, water pump and crank shaft seal replaced at VW main dealers with genuine parts and the water pump failed the day after! They sorted it out straight away so I was very happy with that. But what basically happened is that the impeller on the water pump is compression fitted onto the shaft. This fit failed so the shaft was spinning and the impeller wasn't.

When having the belts done ALWAYS have the water pump done (these are classed as service items with VW). The tension from the new belts can (and usually does) cause the old water pump to fail. It is also worth having the crank shaft seal changed each time. It is also worth sourcing OE parts as there are plenty of sub-standard parts out there that aren't actually that much cheaper (if they are in fact cheaper at all).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had a complete timing belt set, water pump and crank shaft seal replaced at VW main dealers with genuine parts and the water pump failed the day after! QUOTE]

So much for quality genuine VW parts. We all need to accept the facts that all new parts are without faults & that I would not keep putting new water pumps in at every belt change if they check out OK. I will change mine at the next change or before if it fails but by then it will have done 150,000km.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had my timing belt snap recently because the water pump bearing seized ( at 50,000 Km.s). The result is also a bent valve lifter.
My mechanic fixed it and said that he never does a timing belt without doing a water pump. Form memory the water pump is quite cheap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts