VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Any good news on the overheating font?
Sorry I've not checked back here in a while!

I've been busy with various things and I find that I can do about 150 miles before I have to top up the water, so for now I've just coled with it! I'm no longer away every weekend for a while now, so I'll have a proper look asap.

There were some very interesting developments though, at one point the gasket in the bung I pictured earlier perished, so I was driving without for a day or two. During that time the water level in the bottle would drop, as it would loose coolant through the now poorly sealed bung. Fitted a new seal and it loses water but the water level in the bottle doesn't drop.

I reckon there is a leak somewhere, potentially in the head gasket (which could contribute to the pressure in the system), and a blockage somewhere else too.

I might have to take it to the garage for them to have a look though, as I'm just struggling for time!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I thought I'd updated this, but clearly not!

Not much to update but I'm not ignoring this, I'm just not doing a lot of miles at the moment!

I've found the top return pipe was blocked, so I unblocked it (by removing the restrictor that was in place and caked in ), that seems to help a lot as the temperature keeps at a constant 80ish now. I've only done 160 miles since that was done though, and of that only 1 long trip (60 miles each way), so it's a bit early to tell still. I'll update again once I've managed to take it for a longer run, which I know would have been an issue in the past!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I managed a few more long trips (60-80 miles at a time), and the temperature and levels are still holding steady. It's starting to look like it might be fixed!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts