VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thinking of fitting 20" range rover style alloys to my van? surely this will muck up the speedo and milometer readings , right???
:*
or is it all down to tyre size? if so what size would i need to keep things correctT:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeap you are spot on its the tyre that determines if the speedo reads correctly.

If you fitted Range Rover LM322 wheels with the standard 255/50/20 tyres the speedo would read 11% too slow so when your speedo reads 60mph you will in fact be doing 67.1mph.

Most people fit Range Rover Sport wheels with the standard 275/40/20 tyres. These will make the speedo run 5.9% slow so you will be doing 63.5mph when your speedo reads 60mph.

If you want to keep everything correct regarding the speedo stick with a 255/35/20 tyre which are an exact rolling radius match to the original setup.

There are other things to bear in mind though. 255/35/20 is more a car size tyre and it can be tricky to find some that are correctly load rated for vans where as the Range Rover tyres are already load rated but they may catch slightly on the inner wheel arch.

Hope this helps and I havent waffled on too much I:

·
Registered
177 Posts
HiT5RHW
275 x 20" tyres, do you get any rubbing on full lock? I'm looking to put some nice wheels / tyres on my van and droping the suspension maybe 50mm, looking at your van do you think this would be possible, thanks for any info.
Kerm

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with 6% under-reading on the speedo - tried it driving side by side with the wife's Jazz - 63 mph on the Jazz equates to 60mph on the T5 - rather use speedo readings rather than satnav as they usually tend to give a slight over-reading comapred to sat navs so stand more chance if you accidentally go a few mph over the speed limit through speed cameras.

Rub slightly on full lock (more on right lock than left !?!) but didn;t do any damage to mine.

Got a set of mint 20 inch RR diamond polished alloys with nearly new tyres all bolts, lockers, etc £550 collected from Solihull if u r interested

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi all, thinking of fitting 20" range rover style alloys to my van? surely this will muck up the speedo and milometer readings , right???
:*
or is it all down to tyre size? if so what size would i need to keep things correctT:

i have 20s fitted to mine before hand the clock was out now it is spot on with my tom tom no matter what speed you do they are identical...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with 6% under-reading on the speedo - tried it driving side by side with the wife's Jazz - 63 mph on the Jazz equates to 60mph on the T5 - rather use speedo readings rather than satnav as they usually tend to give a slight over-reading comapred to sat navs so stand more chance if you accidentally go a few mph over the speed limit through speed cameras.

Rub slightly on full lock (more on right lock than left !?!) but didn;t do any damage to mine.

Got a set of mint 20 inch RR diamond polished alloys with nearly new tyres all bolts, lockers, etc £550 collected from Solihull if u r interested
pm sent mate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts