VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about a T4 2.5 TDI Syncro I'm considering buying!

The 2.5 motor is knackered so will a 2.4 out of and older T4 mate up t the 2.5 gearbox! (I have a good 2.4 on my workshop floor!)

Also can Syncro's be lowered as easily as a 2wd T4, I presume the front is the same torsion bar set up, so will the rear take lowered springs?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Your gearbox is completely different to the 2.4 gearbox, but the 2.4 motor should fit it...

Your 02G gearbox is different because it is designed to handle more power than the 02D (2.4/2.5 petrol) gearbox...

However, the TDI is drive by wire; the 2.4 has an accelerator cable. Expect a big drop in performance and off-road capability too

As for lowering - folks usually ask about raising them...

Maybe better off getting another TDI van, using the engine and selling the rest for spares...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know most folk would want to raise a syncro, but I want a lowered van, and it just happens that Ive come across a syncro when I wasnt particularly after one! I have a ratty 94 2.4 T4 with a knackered engine that I want to build with a good engine to drop into it too, but now this 00 syncro has popped up and is much straighter than my 94 so will require alot less bodywork and is also 6 years newer, electric windows, new style clocks etc etc!

I presume theyre still torsion on the front sus, so Ive been thinking would air bags on the rear and a few turns of a spanner give me the best of both worlds!! Riding low on the street and 4x4 when pulling my MX bikes out of a muddy field during the winter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts