VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got a 2000 T4 2.5 tdi that has been sat for near enough 6 months unused as we now have a T5.1. Its last mot was a pass with a few advisories - ball joint dust cover, chafed brake hose, rear disc pitted and rust on sills.
Was taken for mot yesterday and it failed spectacularly...

Offside Rear fog lamp not working (4.5.1 (a) (ii))
Nearside Headlamp aim too low (4.1.2 (a))
Exhaust catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard (8.2.2.1 (a))
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Brake hose excessively deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
Nearside Front Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Offside Front Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Nearside Front Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
Nearside Outer Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))
Offside Rear Brake cable damaged (1.1.15 (a))
Nearside Rear Brake cable insecure (1.1.15 (c))
Offside Rear Brake cable insecure (1.1.15 (c))
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Rear Brake disc significantly and obviously worn (1.1.14 (a) (i))
Front Service brake excessively fluctuating (1.2.1 (e))
Rear Service brake lagging in operation (1.2.1 (d))
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))

The last few brake issues I’d put down to it sitting unused for near 6 months, just stiff/sticky and need using again.

The rest of it is just too much work for us for a van we don’t use anymore.

It’s a 2.5tdi 102 remaped to 140, 195,300 miles, full stainless decat exhaust, 18” 5 spoke Audi RS6 wheels with new rear tyres and fronts not much older, sound deadened, insulated, ply lined and carpeted, full width Cannons Forge RnR bed, electric windows, electric heated mirrors, slide opening window in sliding door, barn doors with heated glass.

Was thinking of throwing it up as spares or repair but unsure what to ask for it.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I would say £1500 as is,problem is people don't like to pay a lot for a spares or repairs,if you have the time and space to strip it you'd probably get considerably more selling it in parts T:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't think anyone would be interested in paying over £700 for failed MOT repair / spare vehicle. A buyer would need to pick it up with a trailer and if someone is willing to do so, then they'd be wise enough to get it with as little money as possible.

I can only comment based on the information you posted, but it sounds like a typical part-converted camper (without the kitchen and storage units) which might sell for £4,000ish if you can pass the MOT and if the body panels aren't full of dents and rusts.

So I would do some homework on how much it might cost to pass the MOT and whether doing so can get you more money, and possibly less hassle / time waster by selling it as a roadworthy part-converted camper.

I can see the big expenses being the catalytic converter and front vehicle corrosion (is it cross member or outrigger?). Do you think you can do some DIY to rectify some of the failed components in your spare time?

Just my personal thoughts as a fellow T4 owner and a novice amateur DIYer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I reckon Alex is nearer the mark, as it has the 102 engine and best manual box.

Why not put it on ebay and let it find its own level?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I’m agreed to say £1500 is keen for a non runner - non road worthy no mot vehicle. Even with SCENE TAXI:

However the fleebay auction may get 2 peeps who really want a project and bidding could go mental-hopefully it does as would be a shame to be scrapped off......

Good luck with whatever you choose :T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts