VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day Gang,
My Transporter has died :* not sure why. When my wife started it there was a bad knock/rattle in the cam belt area. It idled for a short time then stopped. Now it will not fire at all but turns over freely. The cam belt has been changed 15k km ago and with the engine being cranked the injection pump still turns, so the cam belt is still doing it's job. I am wondering if there is a belt tensioning system that has failed and a incorporated kill switch that is not allowing it to fire. I have not seen what makes up the timing belt system so would like your thoughts on what may have failed.

Kind Regards
Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
G'Day Gang,
I have just had a squiz at the van. It appears the harmonic balancer has come adrift. The belt drive part slips quite easily on the main part of the pulley. I guess that is the problem with the no start issue. Does anyone know what the relationship is with the ecu that would prevent the motor starting. Is there a magnetic pick-up on the outer part of the pulley or perhaps when there is no pulse coming from the alternator the ecu says up you! I'm not going to allow the motor to start.
Also who is the best mob to get a replacement balancer from. I am in Australia but time is not an issue so it could come from over seas.
Any ideas welcome.
Cheers
Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I think its time to look at the worst case scenario if your timing belt is slipping. valves could be damaged.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't crank it without replacing damaged parts take off pulleys check crankshaft for damage if ok and timing is not far from what it should be refit timing belts pulleys new bolt essential as single use check timing use check compression if ok you were lucky.More likely new crankshaft,few valves or reconditioned head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gang,
It is not the timing belt that is slipping, it is the alternator drive part of the crank damper that is slipping on the part of the pulley that is fixed to the crank.
Any ideas if there is some sort of ecu pick up on the damper?
Cheers
Dennis

·
Registered
794 Posts
Just had my harmonic damper replaced. £180+VAT for the part (main dealer UK). They fitted it while doing the cambelt because it was falling apart. It's a common fail point. Sometimes, when it lets go, it does take out the cam-belt at the same time which does lots of engine damage. However...

There are 3 belts on these engines:

Toothed belt nearside (you do drive on the left over there, don't you?): injection pump.

Toothed belt offside: cam belt which also drives water pump.

Auxilliary ribbed belt offside - driven from the harmonic damper: alternator, steering and a/c.

If only the harmonic damper has failed that won't prevent starting. However, if broken parts of it have got into the cam belt and caused that to slip/lose teeth/snap then the valve timing will be out. If only one tooth out - might be your lucky day. But at worst some of the clattering you heard was the pistons pushing the valves out of their way in £vigorous£ manner after a massive cam-belt slip/failure.

On the other hand, it could also be that the aux belt has been slipping like that for a long time - i.e. it's irrelevant to your non-start problem. In which case you need to track down the clattering. Which could still have been the cam-belt failing, just all on it's own without any help from the aux belt. But let's hope it was something less expensive.

You do need to rule out cam belt issues before you turn the engine over again, though.

Can you look into the cam belt cover and see what condition it's in and whether it's taut? The top part of the cover is fairly easy to unclip and replace. And since you've already got the undertray off, have a look at the rest of it too. You're looking for shredding, but also for signs of it simply missing teeth or being loose enough to jump - so failure isn't necessarily obvious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that,
I have not taken damper off yet but will do all the checks you have suggested. I will let you know what I find.
Cheers
Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts