VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - this has probably been covered before and I am probably asking in the wrong section but here goes -

Just purchased a 2001 Ex AA T4. One with rear glass and wipers on rear doors.

Wife is not happy about both the 3 and the 5 year old boys in the front (rear 2 seats taken up by wife and 6 month baby). So is it possible to add another fold down seat to the rear behind the existing 2 - with a diagonal seat belt? I understand that I may need a spreader plate etc. Any help info would be appreciated here...

I had read that there is connection for a leisure battery on ex AA vans under passenger seat - but cannot see any existence of there being one on this model. Previous owner had said that the battery in engine compartment had a larger capacity than normal - is that correct these models only came with one battery?

The Van has an Anderson connection on the rear - there is a rocker button on dash with a diagonal - does that operate the Anderson jump start connection? Tested this in both positions with a meter and only had a slight reading. There is another rocker switch with a lamp on right hand side - assumed that this was for lights on roof which have been removed.

Is the paint code for the yellow a VW paint code? Is it the same for all models?

As you can see I am new to T4s so any help with this model would be appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Hello, you will find the paint code underneath where the steering wheel is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the switch become illuminated when powered? I think mine may be a fuse issue - not even sure where the fuse would be...

·
Registered
809 Posts
When you select the power on to the jump start circuit there should be a loud clunk as it becomes live the indicator switch (green with lightning flash) may not work to tell you it is on. Under no circumstances leave this on as it will quickly drain your battery, like I did (schoolboy error). It is designed to jump start other vehicles so outputs a lot of power. So it is fine for jump starting just don't leave it on. If you use the connectors, and they are handy ensure you get high powered jump leads, about £42 from halfords.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you select the power on to the jump start circuit there should be a loud clunk as it becomes live the indicator switch (green with lightning flash) may not work to tell you it is on. Under no circumstances leave this on as it will quickly drain your battery, like I did (schoolboy error). It is designed to jump start other vehicles so outputs a lot of power. So it is fine for jump starting just don't leave it on. If you use the connectors, and they are handy ensure you get high powered jump leads, about £42 from halfords.
Yep - thats what I thought - and would be very handy. Looks like the previous owner has disconnected it. Will check at the weekend to see if I can make it work again - may be just a fuse? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a better look around the van and have now sourced a single Caravelle rear with mushroom bolts. As this is a 2001 Ex AA Van will there be captive nuts in place so that I can install the third seat adjacent to the standard bench seat? Had a look in the rails that run across the van and could not see any captive bolts - buit could not see any for the installed bench either :confused:
And will I need spreader plates?

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum too,

Another thing to watch out for on ex AA vans is they are prone to breaking pedal boxes.

But I would say that wouldn't I.I:

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks All - sure I will see you all around - heavily into the air cooled scene specially the racing.

Will take some pictures of the T4 soon and add to the Team Yellow section :D

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Hi mate, and welcome.. Miss my old AA van.. was the dogs danglys..

Th loud clunk when you press the switch is a big solenoid unit under the bonnet activating. Its this that will drain your battery if you leave it on. Removed mine and removed the switches. Nice new dash panel makes the job a goodun..

The captive nuts are rectangular plate metal in actually sit inside the a couple of reinforced rails running across the underside of the van. You'll find a couple of extras fitted in a very rear rail where the caravelle rear seat is usually bolted. Can drill out the pop rivets that hold them in place and use them in the front. (might save a couple of quid)..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi mate, and welcome.. Miss my old AA van.. was the dogs danglys..

Th loud clunk when you press the switch is a big solenoid unit under the bonnet activating. Its this that will drain your battery if you leave it on. Removed mine and removed the switches. Nice new dash panel makes the job a goodun..

The captive nuts are rectangular plate metal in actually sit inside the a couple of reinforced rails running across the underside of the van. You'll find a couple of extras fitted in a very rear rail where the caravelle rear seat is usually bolted. Can drill out the pop rivets that hold them in place and use them in the front. (might save a couple of quid)..
Thanks Charlie - I have ordered 4 from VW - they are around a fiver each so not that bad. Will investigate the solenoid - just thinking that it could be handy when out and about :D

cracker said:
Hi andy would you be itrested in selling air suspention
Hi cracker - not looking at removing the air suspension yet as it may help for towing etc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts