VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic seems to have been very well covered on here but I can't seem to find the info Im looking for.

I have just bought a 2002 2.5 tdi, it has 130K on the clock and the belt was changed at 90k. The service book does not seem to indicate that the water pump was changed at the same time. I understand the interval for the belt is around 60k so theoretically there is still life in it yet. However the VW service history stops at 90k so I have no record of what has been done since that time.

Im looking to get it changed to be safe and Im getting quotes between £500-£600. Although virtually everyone one here says change the water pump at the same time, some of the garages are saying that the cam belt on the 2.5tdi does not run the water pump and therefore replacing the pump is not necessary and seemed to say that the pump was right in the heart of the engine and replacing it was not needed and more difficult.

Im looking to find out firstly whether the water pump is run by the cambelt on this engine? and secondly what are the potential consequences of the water pump failing, is it as severe as the cam belt failing?

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hi, which engine is yours ?

On my 2.5 ACV (that's a 5 cylinder) the water pump is driven by the cam belt, it is recommended for change because its been under cam belt tension all its life and witha new belt fitted different tension is likely to cause a weeping/leak on the pumps drive shaft seals. Hence its a no-brainer to swap out at same time as cam belt. Also its a simple thing to do when changing cam belt.
My Brooklands manual seems to suggest this would be the case for all 5 cylinder engines.

I believe that on the four cylinder engines the pump is driven by the alternator belt but would look to others for clarification. I'm thinking that this would make it easy to change the pump at any time.

As for it being hard to get at H:H:H: well yes it is buried a bit but once you've got the cam belt of its simply sitting there in front of you, three bolts and an O ring and its done.

I suspect in 99.9% of cases pumps only leak and won't break up till much later (if at all), so standard loss of coolant/pressurisation issues. plus in replacing you will have to get the cam belt redone as you have to remove/slacken it to get the pump out.

Pump & cam belt together cheapest safest option.
Your quotes sound high to me, get a price from VW as a high-end marker/starter.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The pump is cambelt driven on the 5 cylinder engine. FACT.
Please don't trust a garage that tells you otherwise.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Was just about to write what Mr-Torquer said. I'd be going elsewhere based on their knowledge and pricing

·
Registered
316 Posts
I paid vw around £500 changed the lot including water pump and coolant and crank seal
All witb two year warranty

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This topic seems to have been very well covered on here but I can't seem to find the info Im looking for.

I have just bought a 2002 2.5 tdi, it has 130K on the clock and the belt was changed at 90k. The service book does not seem to indicate that the water pump was changed at the same time. I understand the interval for the belt is around 60k so theoretically there is still life in it yet. However the VW service history stops at 90k so I have no record of what has been done since that time.

Im looking to get it changed to be safe and Im getting quotes between £500-£600. Although virtually everyone one here says change the water pump at the same time, some of the garages are saying that the cam belt on the 2.5tdi does not run the water pump and therefore replacing the pump is not necessary and seemed to say that the pump was right in the heart of the engine and replacing it was not needed and more difficult.

Im looking to find out firstly whether the water pump is run by the cambelt on this engine? and secondly what are the potential consequences of the water pump failing, is it as severe as the cam belt failing?

any help would be appreciated
This is driven by the belt and its proberly the thing that will cause your cam belt to snap if and when the water pump fail, so have it done regardless hen the belts are replaced Much cheaper in the long run, proberly only put £60-£100 on the job and most good mechanics will price this in with the belts, if you local to North London these guys are what they are called ! I had belts water pump all the pullys plus new fan belt and various other minor things done including oil change I was charged £ just under £600... I was very happy. A: http://www.vwaudiexpertj25m25.co.uk/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information, its really helpful. All I know about the engine being a complete novice is that its the 2.5 tdi 88bhp.

Ive taken the advice and booked it in with a different garage who will do the full belt and pump kit, VAT and fitted for £500 with VAG parts. Its an independent VW and Audi service centre. Phoned around a few but couldn't find anything cheaper really, maybe its London pricing!

Cheers again
T:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is driven by the belt and its proberly the thing that will cause your cam belt to snap if and when the water pump fail, so have it done regardless hen the belts are replaced Much cheaper in the long run, proberly only put £60-£100 on the job and most good mechanics will price this in with the belts, if you local to North London these guys are what they are called ! I had belts water pump all the pullys plus new fan belt and various other minor things done including oil change I was charged £ just under £600... I was very happy. A: http://www.vwaudiexpertj25m25.co.uk/
Just saw this, cheers for the info, North London is a bit hard to get to during the week unfortunately with work and all (I live in south west london), but if I need anything big doing might check them out if this garage don't seem great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts