VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Been a while...happy to report been smooth sailing for the past year thankfully. I noticed recently that motor oil (well, it's brown and looks like what's on the dipstick) seems to squirt out ESPECIALLY when the van is put in reverse (automatic gb with AMV motor). The location of the leak seems to be under the passenger seat (left hand drive car), in other words toward the rear of the car from the nr.1 piston (if Im not mistaken). Obviously a hoist of the car or getting right underneath would reveal more, but thought I'd throw this question out into the forum first to see if anyone has a clue??? Perhaps this is a 'typical issue'? The level on the dipstick hasn't moved, and I'd guess only about 50-100ml maximum is lost whenever I've investigated it (that's been 3 times this past week.
Thanks in advance.
Slick

Registered
Although when approaching from the rear lubrication is often useful I've heard. But I think in your case it's probably not required & quite frustrating. (Sorry Cabin fever) 馃ぃ
Your problem seems an odd one. I cannot possibly imagine why an engine would leak when in reverse as nothing changes to it.
The only possibility to me would be something coming from the gearbox itself. Have you noticed any performance issued with reference to gear changing etc?

Registered
Or maybe you have a leak that is accumulating somewhere and it only flows out when you go backwards? Maybe jack up the back of the van up and see if more flows out...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that input. Poffer, the leak seems to come when reverse is engaged, no movement of the van involved. But Bingleylion there have been gb issues from the very beginning (oct 2018) that do seem to have become steadily more problematic. Whereas the 1st gear would slip once or twice in the first minutes of engine running (making me think it had to do with cold temperature), there is a little bit of that slipping occurring sometimes when the engine is warm, and more often. I've had it in mind to have the transmission looked at - perhaps change the gb oil.
Somehow everything would make sense if it were gb oil leaking out during these reverse moments, but it looks smells and acts like motor oil, although to be fair I have never seen what the oil in the gearbox looks like, I always assumed it was red in colour??
And to add confusion here, I've noticed that it may not be a case of being only in reverse that's triggering it. I've also had the heater running in those moments, and this causes an occasional relay switch to engage which always dims the power for a second or two (including affecting the idle speed). I'm now suspecting the squirts come when that relay kicks in, but a lot of this is speculation as I'm not looking under the car in these moments, 'deduction by stains' is the case.
In either case, it is going to need a trip to the mechanic for assessment, if he's open that is.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Power steering just packed up, so I guess that explains the oil squirts (I expected the PS oil to be blue for some reason). I'm about to do a quick research binge on the PS unit now.
Guess it is down to isolating the leak for a repair - crossing fingers it is just a hose.
Slick

Registered
UPDATE: Power steering just packed up, so I guess that explains the oil squirts (I expected the PS oil to be blue for some reason). I'm about to do a quick research binge on the PS unit now.
Guess it is down to isolating the leak for a repair - crossing fingers it is just a hose.
Slick
Best to stick with the PS at the moment but there is a known issue where gearbox oil can squirt out of the final drive breather in reverse. If I remember rightly it is connected to the oil being degraded due to overheating. Most people just stick the box into D & drive. Driving around very hilly terrain can cause excessive heating due to this as the box will try & shift up as quickly as possible for fuel consumption reasons. In hilly terrain select 3rd or 2nd to stop the box making excessive shifting & therefore reduce the overheating problem. Or fit an effective oil cooler to the gearbox as the VW one is pants.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Best to stick with the PS at the moment but there is a known issue where gearbox oil can squirt out of the final drive breather in reverse. If I remember rightly it is connected to the oil being degraded due to overheating. Most people just stick the box into D & drive. Driving around very hilly terrain can cause excessive heating due to this as the box will try & shift up as quickly as possible for fuel consumption reasons. In hilly terrain select 3rd or 2nd to stop the box making excessive shifting & therefore reduce the overheating problem. Or fit an effective oil cooler to the gearbox as the VW one is pants.
Thanks for that. Going to the mechanics monday for a looksie, the leak being way up near the tyre rod ends. That's good advice on the use of 2nd and 3d...I use them all the time, even on slight inclines. On the other hand I suspect the female co-driver has other methods.....
Will keep you posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So, turns out one of the high pressure lines had a hole in it - simple as that. Mechanic welded it shut and all good now. I like to end these enquiries for the sake of the next owner discovering similar strange symptoms and scratching their heads over it. Thanks again for all the input, case closed.
Slick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts