VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do the first engine oil and filter change on my 2003 T4 2.5TDI sometime next week.

I have found a Good How To Guide on this forum.

What Grade of Engine Oil and which Brand do the members of this forum recommend please?.

Is it worth the drive to a VW Commercial Vehicle Dealer to buy genuine VW Oil and Filters or can I get the same quality of Oil and Filters from other sources.

I was thinking of using a Fully Synthetic Oil unless Semi Synthetic will perform just as well.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi bud

You can go to the main dealer and buy Castrol EDGE 5W-30 fully synthetic engine oil for about £15.00 for one litre or if you buy it at Asda it will cost £30 for four litres....:)

Do the maths…T:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

So I need to be looking for Good Quality 5W30 Fully Synthetic Oil.

Are the Oil Filters sold by Eurocarparts and German and Swedish outlets of a Good Enough quality for my T4 engine or should i go to VW and pay the extra?.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 A3-B4. Castrol Edge could be considered superior but is substantially more expensive and I do not do vast milages. Refer to the Castrol website - type in your registration no and it will probably come up with the above two options. Do not forget you will need 2off 4litre containers. Engine takes approx 6 litres.

I usually get my filters from JustKampers. Look them up on web. Filters are usually BOSCH manufacture . JustKamper references are - Oil filter J10409, Drain plug washer J13424, Air filter J11957, Cabin/pollen filterJ12794. Total inc delivery £43.50- last month. Hope this helps.

Alleygater

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi

Just to be on the safe side, I always buy OEM oil filters from the main dealer. (However, i'm not sure if they are worth paying the extra for!)

·
Registered
406 Posts
euro car parts for the filters, and any 10 40 oil just depends whats on offer but saying that i try to give mine a oil change every 6000 miles and filters every 12000

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi

Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic 10w-40 A3-B4 or Castrol EDGE 5W-30 fully synthetic, Either will do the job nicely.

In theory you can have longer service intervals when using fully synthetic oil.

However, given that the turbo uses the engine oil, its always a good thing to change the oil regularly, whatever type of oil you choose.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found a 5 litre bottle of Havoline 5W40 Fully Synthetic oil in the back my shed.

Must have bought it for our previous car and never used it.

It states VW 505 on the spec.

Would that be Ok to use on my T4 if I get a couple more litres of the same or similar?.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I use AMSoil european spec,bit pricey but very very good,excellent for turbos.....find at opie oilsT:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ajpepe72.

I noticed that the oil sold at Costco works out quite cheap as it is sold in bulk but it doesn't usually show the spec very clearly.

I have never bothered buying oil from them in the past with my other vehicles but if the spec is good enough and you change the oil every 5k miles then i suppose it could be Ok.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Here's the spec for the Chevron supreme diesel that Costco sells :

Chevron Supreme Diesel 10W/40

A multigrade engine oil for all diesel cars and light vans, including those fitted with turbo charged and multi valved engines providing year round protection.
Meets the following approvals - API SL/CF, ACEA A3-02 ; B4-02 ; B3-98 !Issue 2, VW AUDI 505.00 and Daimler Benz 229.1

So it's fine for the 2.5 tdi and at the price, i prefer to use a cheaper oil and change it more often.

505.00 is the spec for diesels before year 2000, then from 2000 on it specs 506.00, but this is only due to longer variable service intervals on post 2000 vans so im told. so if your van is newer than year 2000 and you use variable servicing then use 506.00 but if your doing regular changes at upto 10'000 miles then 505.00 will be fine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ajpepe72

Thanks for showing the spec for the Chevron Oil.

I will be changing my oil and filter approximately every six months which should be @ every 3,000 miles.

Worth thinking about using a cheaper oil and changing it more often.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Old post but I just bought a twin pack of castrol semi synthetic 10/40 (2 x 4l) for 30 quid in costco if anyone needs some :)

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I tried 5w30 fully synthetic Millers - the 2.5 tdi smoked & rattled like a bstard, changed back to Magnatec 10-40 & all is well :ILU:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Here's the spec for the Chevron supreme diesel that Costco sells :

Chevron Supreme Diesel 10W/40

A multigrade engine oil for all diesel cars and light vans, including those fitted with turbo charged and multi valved engines providing year round protection.
Meets the following approvals - API SL/CF, ACEA A3-02 ; B4-02 ; B3-98 !Issue 2, VW AUDI 505.00 and Daimler Benz 229.1

So it's fine for the 2.5 tdi and at the price, i prefer to use a cheaper oil and change it more often.

505.00 is the spec for diesels before year 2000, then from 2000 on it specs 506.00, but this is only due to longer variable service intervals on post 2000 vans so im told. so if your van is newer than year 2000 and you use variable servicing then use 506.00 but if your doing regular changes at upto 10'000 miles then 505.00 will be fine.
That's what I was lead to believe. Lots of conflicting info around but this was what I concluded was "the truth"

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have 2 X 4litres of Fuchs Titan SuperSyn Longlife Engine oil 5w-40 that is of no use to me - it meets VW 505 00 (I should have ordered 0w-30 506.01)...cost me £21 for 4 litres...open to £ offers - Kidderminster area but willing to post if buyer covers postage costs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Could someone help me please. I have a 1995 T4 Caravelle
What engine oil is recommended for this model?. I have seen conflicting reports on different grades of oil.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Stokie

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Could someone help me please. I have a 1995 T4 Caravelle
What engine oil is recommended for this model?. I have seen conflicting reports on different grades of oil.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Stokie

Sorry it's a 2.4 diesel

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,810 Posts
What does it say on the "slam panel" under the bonnet?
There should be a sticker there stating the oil specification.

I have 3 "cars", all "require" different specs....
For the last 10 years they have ALL been run with Mobil 3000 fully synth.
I use the 5W-40 recipe....as it suits my climate.

Oil is oil...unless running a high performance engine....I:

As long as you don't use "rubbish", and change it and the filter at the specified time....a fully synth should be OK for any engine....
Or am I talking ? :* (Not unknown....)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts