VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new to T5 ownership and this is my first post on here, ive spent many hours researching all the excellent data on here before taking the plunge and getting my own van so thank you everyone for what i have learnt to date.

Ive had my van about a month, she's a bit of a tatty white panel van with 117,000 miles on the clock. Its going to be an ongoing project to spruce it up.

I have what i'm hoping is a electrical gremlin. not long after owning the van the oil light came on so i took it to my local mechanic and he found a faulty oil pressure switch (just the one sensor on the motor im lead to believe?) and swapped it out for a new one and that solved the problem for a couple of weeks but now the problem is back.

The oil light will only come on once the engine is warm (after being driven for 15-20mins) and it only comes on when the rev gauge passes the 1500 rpm mark. i get a buzzer and a couple of flashes from the red oil light. then as quick as it has come on it vanishes.

If the revs pass through the 1500 - 2000 rpm quickly like they do in 1st and 2nd then it doesn't seem to activate the light/buzzer. but when the needle is allowed to hover around the 1500 mark the alarm sounds and the light flashes. this is really annoying as this is exactly the rev range i use when i'm cruising in 6th and every time i have to slow for a corner i get the buzzer.

If i change my driving style and shift gear higher in the rev range and drop a gear when slowing to avoid the buzzer sweet spot i get no alarm or lights at all.

So my question is has anyone had any experiance of this problem and could they share how they fixed it?
I have done a search on here and haven't managed to find a fault thats matches my symptoms yet. the only post i can find is here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/21573-oil-pressure-light-and-buzzer
and this suggests looking at the bonnet switch.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vwstevens Hi and thanks for your reply, i forgot to mention that when i had the sensor swapped out it had a oil and filter change with the correct spec oil (cant remember the number spec but i spent hours making sure it was the right one for my engine).

I read your thread, i'll get the electrical tester out one eve this week and see if find a faulty wire.

Many thanks

Nick

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
I have had this occasionally for three years. It's always after a long journey when the oil is really hot and low speed. I have pretty much tracked it down to worn engine.

My understanding is as follows. The oil pressure is monitored and the ecu expects to see greater pressure as the revs climb. It's not that complicated however and this means there is a 'step', at around 1500rpm where it expects to see an increased pressure. So it will trigger low pressure at idle for one set figure and then after 1500rpm trigger low pressure for another single figure. So if the oil galleries are getting worn and oil is thin as its hot, as the revs climb it can see low pressure as it enters the point the higher value is expected.

I have been running around 40,000 miles with this same fault and am now at 210,000 miles so have taken a drastic step. I wanted to add more power as my conversion has added weight and the 130 is less brisk as a consequence. So I bought a complete low mileage AXE 174bhp (known 61k) I am going to install this and remap to get the increase in power and refresh the whole power unit. T:

I know this seems drastic but it actually has worked out cheaper than buying the parts to do a thorough refurb of my current unit.

Know this isn't ideal advice but I thought the fact mine has remained running with the same fault for 40k might reassure you slightly:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts