VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Wonder if anyone can shed any light for me - my van has developed a strange noise as follows. When cruising along between 1500 and 2000 rpm and when I ease off (particularly going around a roundabout) I get a squeal noise from the engine - i can only describe it as when you used to rewind a tape too far... It stops when I come totally off the power or get back on the power, but if you hold the revs stays. You can change the pitch of the noise by gently playing with the throttle. This only happens when the engine has reached normal operating temp and never when it cold.
A mechanic seems to think its a turbo bearing, but has any one had anything similar before I spend £800 on getting a new turbo fitted? Van has done 96k.

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
IMO if its the turbo it should make the noise when stationary and you put it under load. If a turbo bearing and making that noise it means the fins will be touching the casing at which point you could just get an inspection camera and check for signs. You got air con?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have air con yes... but I hardly use it - how come?
To me it sounds more like something slipping than blades touching the side of a casing.
Cheers for coming back to me so quickly :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Could well be the coupler worn your compressor..... or main bearing in the box if its in all gears. :*

Would of thought the turbo if indeed the bearings are gone would be easy enough to suss though :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm OK thanks. If it is the gearbox parts is that worse or better than the turbo (in terms of cost).
I am not technical at all so wouldn't have a clue where to start in terms of diagnosis :-S :*

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also... I did notice actually last night that I could maintain the noise with my foot on the clutch, therefore I would guess that eliminates the gearbox as it wouldn't be engaged. Bizarre!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Would imagine that foot on the clutch would rule out the turbo as well. However, worn main bearing you can getaway with it for a long time but would be worried if its bearings in the turbo or the coupler in your aircon compressor (easy job on yours). could also be a drive shaft. Internet diagnostics is not my things tbh but always great as a general feel and guidance. Would be worried with garages that start changing stuff on a hint though and testing/changing unnecessary parts at your expense as this could start getting very expensive and just the hassle could cause you to lose the love for the van. T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the exact same issue with my old 2008 2.5 van. Took the turbo off, had it checked on a test bench and no fault found! After months of searching for the whistle (like an old kettle boiling) it turned out to be a snapped exhaust manifold bolt. When the engine warmed up the manifold very slightly came away from the block!! Check all your manifold bolts first. This may work, but the gasket may have also failed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts