VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Vehicle as title, it has the 1.9PD engine. Problem is random over heating, goes for a few weeks then it over heats then it's ok again until next time. The bottom radiator hose does not get as hot as I would like thus I think it may be a circulation problem. I have changed the thermostat [twice], water pump has less than 50k, radiator has about 60k and engine has done 100k Vehicle has over 200k on clock. Any one had anything similar? Any ideas? Thanks.

Registered
Hi.
Vehicle as title, it has the 1.9PD engine. Problem is random over heating, goes for a few weeks then it over heats then it's ok again until next time. The bottom radiator hose does not get as hot as I would like thus I think it may be a circulation problem. I have changed the thermostat [twice], water pump has less than 50k, radiator has about 60k and engine has done 100k Vehicle has over 200k on clock. Any one had anything similar? Any ideas? Thanks.
Possibly head. Mine didn't over heat but not all hoses were warming up. Mines an 06axc 1.9. If your radiator was smiling then theres a chance you had the problem manifesting for a while. I caught mine before the over heating started but always smelt warmer than I thought it should. If your near s Wales contact Poole Garage they were superb with mine. Either way get it looked at soon to rule it out or get it sorted 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly head. Mine didn't over heat but not all hoses were warming up. Mines an 06axc 1.9. If your radiator was smiling then theres a chance you had the problem manifesting for a while. I caught mine before the over heating started but always smelt warmer than I thought it should. If your near s Wales contact Poole Garage they were superb with mine. Either way get it looked at soon to rule it out or get it sorted 馃憤
Thanks for reply Mark. I do not think it's the head gasket it was done about 60k ago same time as radiator. My reasoning for not thinking it's the head gasket is no bubbles in header tank plus I did a gas test on header tank all normal. Also there is no loss of water from system, I also think a head gasket would be more of a constant fault not random like mind. I am a long way from Wales in the far north of Scotland.

Registered
If you read my thread over on the T4 section that might give you another thought. Mine has been diagnosed as a probable instrument panel fault. My gauge would sometimes go up to 130c and alarm activated but other times would read 90c as normal. The engine was not over heating though which led me to the suspicion that it was electrical and not mechanical

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you read my thread over on the T4 section that might give you another thought. Mine has been diagnosed as a probable instrument panel fault. My gauge would sometimes go up to 130c and alarm activated but other times would read 90c as normal. The engine was not over heating though which led me to the suspicion that it was electrical and not mechanical
Thanks Taurian. When it happens mind is overheating.

Special Rapporteur
If it were mine, I would take the water pump out and just give it a check by hand/eye. It's not common but occasionally you hear of aftermarket replacements where the impeller can spin on the shaft - which makes them a bit ineffective!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it were mine, I would take the water pump out and just give it a check by hand/eye. It's not common but occasionally you hear of aftermarket replacements where the impeller can spin on the shaft - which makes them a bit ineffective!
Thanks triffic. An interesting reply, I will look into this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts