VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2006 Caravelle SE 2.5 AXD
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I'm Ben from Wolverhampton - thought I'd start a build thread on my new to me 2006 Caravelle in Ravenna Blue:

This conversion will be slightly different to the usual layouts, the van is ex-motability and has a wheelchair ramp at the rear, along with some swivel out extra seats at the back:

The van had 85k miles on when I picked it up, which seemed pretty low to me. Its in reasonable condition, but I've got a list of jobs already:
Replace both bottom rollers on sliding doors - 1x done
Respray front bumper/ sections of front bumper
Fix rear central bumper (loose and damaged after 14 years)
Heater control has the 12-3 o'clock cable issue
Tailgate gas struts replacement
Two new front tyres
Strip out rear seats
Plan interior!
Sliding windows slight leak

Tandem pump slight oil leak (but no evidence of leaving oil spots when parked... no undertray fitted)
Find out what trim the seats are (does anyone know?)
Find a T5 VW bike rack or fit the bikes on the roof

The triple bench seat and the swivel disability seats were quite heavy! The rear trims have been cut away and an L shape steel bracket has been welded onto the wheelarch. This creates a handy mounting point for my plan of U shaped seating, with a pull out kitchen to the rear. I've found quite a few handy mounting points from the conversion already. I am looking into a rear tailgate driveaway awning. Current plan is to shorten the wheelchair ramp in line with the standard floor, and build up the recess in the floor to level it out. Probably use ramp area for storage or pull out drawer to the rear.

Hopefully we'll be free to travel around this summer, so hoping to get the van to a usable condition by May.

Wish me luck
Ben

Premium Member
Welcome Ben!

I know I've posted on your other thread when you purchased the van, glad to see one more local to me anyway! So if I'm out in the van in the Wolverhampton area then I'll look out for you馃槤 You'll probably see someone frantically waving at you!馃槀

Looks like you've got a large list to keep yourself occupied so far, no doubt that will get bigger as time goes on but looking forward to seeing how you progress!馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers both. Ticked another job off the list last weekend - tailgate gas struts replacement, took all of 2 minutes lol but its all progress.

Very slow progress so far, which I'm blaming on the cold weather and my indecisiveness! I have just swapped insurers from Direct Line to Brentacre, as I didn't think Direct Line would like me removing seats and attempting a day van interior!

Got a long weekend off work coming up, so the angle grinder will be coming out to play on the wheelchair ramp and will also be removing the rear trim panels to free up space. Would like to retain the blinds section of the rear trim though, so will get my thinking cap on.

Have got two camping trips planned in June, so I definitely need to crack on!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update time:

Ramp now shortened in line with body, inside of ramp lined with flashband and thermawrap.

Caravelle rail covers removed, started ply lining floor to level up. Side trim removed, showing ducting and HVAC.

Hopefully will finish ply lining the floor soon and can begin to work out layout options

Cheers,

Ben

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers mate, yeah that was me! I was in a world of my own this morning, wondering whether to do a swamper look on the Caravelle! Really must update this thread with my progress!

Premium Member
I was standing at the griddle having a sandwich on break at work, daydreaming myself and thought I recognised the van then the number plates as well馃槤
Swamper look would look great on the van I think as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update - from this:

To this - new full crash bar, full bumper...

at lake Vyrnwy

Karndean floor laid

Storage area for electrics / leisure battery, making use of the ex-wheelchair space

Making use of cheap tints until I can change the windows for new

Started carpet lining

Taking inspiration from this layout for the build - its from a T25. Aiming for a rear bunk bed area for my son with a 180cm length bed for the wife and I, but quite flexible in that it can be turned into a u shaped seating area too. Will sort a layout diagram to explain!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Battled the rain yesterday to try and get some progress. Wheelchair void will be home to the consumer unit, leisure battery, junction boxes etc. Will fit a hinged cover for the rare times I'll have to venture into it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few more bits:

Plywood interior coming along:

Fitted the hook up point:

From this

To this

Diy spray booth:

Further inspiration from this:

Registered
T4 california coach 2.5 tdi 102 -11/1998
very classy this blue. 馃
good job on the layout of the T5馃憦

Reactions: cerbera84

Registered
Thanks so much for this thread!
I have a shuttle and wanted to know how carpet lined panels would look so this has helped me no end. Have you got a pic of the sliding door panel/door card after carpet lining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much for this thread!
I have a shuttle and wanted to know how carpet lined panels would look so this has helped me no end. Have you got a pic of the sliding door panel/door card after carpet lining?

Sorry, haven't got round to the sliding door panel yet, debating whether to buy the Kiravans door store or not...

Registered
I鈥檝e just noticed your sealing off your pipe work from the hvac.
I鈥檝e had a hell of a time today trying to get the trim off that section of the rear, was it difficult in the end? Am I being a wimp thinking I will snap it if I pull too hard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts