VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. On November 5th my front captain seats were nicked out of my campervan. I still have both keys and no obvious damage was caused. I appreciate the sensitivity of the post and that the actual ways of getting in should not be listed. But the insurance company are saying it must've been left unlocked which it wasn't. Any advice greatly appreciated as I had only owned the van a month so clearly I was targeted.
Ta

·
Registered
3 Posts
NO accusations in anyway, but an unscrupulous seller may have kept a spare key as part of a cunning plan. Cost of one programmed key against the cost of two captains seats.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Check the rubber conduits which go from the body into the tailgate. If you find a neat slot sliced into it then that MAY bed the answer... although that may be an urban myth.

It's well known that all the rolling code remotes have been cracked now too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Useful for preventing the theft of the van, but not for preventing the theft of the captain seats ... or anything else of value inside the van.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,007 Posts
Re: 2007 t5 broken into - no damage ..How

I know it is an old thread, but the steering lock comment reminded me of a anti-theft idea I read on another forum and would actually stop people nicking the seat as well (not sure how common place that is ....)

If fitted with swivel seats, spin round the drivers one and then put a chain (like this one - http://amzn.to/2E6CsGC) around the base and seat frame in such a way it cannot swivel back.
That will stop the vehicle being driven away and also stop the seats being nicked (at least while the lock & chain is not cut open).

I will be buying another one of those Master Chains (bought two already - one for trailer to secure against tree and one to secure T5 spare wheel on carrier) for this swivel seat purpose before the new Touring Season T:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts