VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to make this my first post on here, but I live in Guernsey and don't have a VW Commercial dealer to take my van to. I'd like to be armed with info to pass on to a UK dealer that does the final warranty service early next year. I plan to keep the van for years so want to make sure all is good before the warranty expires.

I've got a 2010 140hp 2.0 Kombi with an old 59 plate so it was probably one of the first of the facelift models, which I bought through VW Leicester in April last year. I've had the second service done in May this year by another VW Commercial dealer in the south, but I don't think the technicians looked closely enough at some of the noises/concerns I told them about being;

1. A loud and distinct ticking noise when the engine is cold, approx 2-3 ticks per second at idle and speeds up with the engine speed. It goes away after 2-3 mins when the engine has warmed up a little and not necessarily up to running temperature. I was told it may be a noisy oil pump, but it sounds awful and similar to a noisy fan on an old car - embarrassing from a 2 year old VW!

2. A hollow rolling or rumbling sound when I change gears and the engine is up to temperature. More noticeable when the engine is working at too low revs and I need to change down a gear, or depressing the clutch after using engine braking down a hill. I was told this was normal and from a type of exhaust valve, but I'm not convinced.

3. The catalytic converter light comes on for a number of days at a time, then dissappears for a few days, then comes back on again. Admittedly over here in Guernsey we can't run the engines up to speed to clear the DPF, but I take the van away 2-3 times a year and didn't have this problem last year, only recently. I've read somewhere that this could possibly be a faulty EGR valve which the early T5.1s like mine had. It may also explain why the engine sometimes hunts a bit when cold and stationary at traffic lights after a few minutes driving. And perhaps if I'm lucky the other two points may be connected to a faulty EGR valve too :).
If anyone has had the same problems or knows what they may be then any feedback would be really appreciated.

Or if there are any well known problems that I should look out for and possibly address with the dealer next year then that would be great too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi

My 2010 140 had its EGR replaced... the van flagged this up as a fault and the RAC man diagnosed (and said many of the early 140's had already been done and he was surprised mine had got to 32K without the EGR being replaced by the new design). No signs of poor running before this happened and no difference since

My clutch has always been a bit noisier than I would have liked (bought at 6k) its not got any worse (now at 32K) and my van center seemed to take my concern seriously and sent recordings off to Germany apparently but the answer was its OK and not bad enough to take apart and have a look. Its rumbles a bit when you push the clutch down but I think i am fairly fussy

Re the warning light - nothing similar for me but in the first week of ownership I had lots of false engine oil warning lights after long runs that was cured by the van center re-downloading some software to do with the dashboard display (apparently)

I have found the local VW van center really helpful re any issues I have had so I would recommend rolling up to the nearest one thats convenient and getting any worries investigated asap

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy

Great to hear your feedback about the same noises. I'll check with VW to see whether they've made a note of the EGR being replaced and if they haven't then I'll try and insist on it being replaced before the warranty expires, seems to be a known problem. I bought it last April with 12k on the clock and it's only up to 17.5k now. So pleased with it though and plan to keep it for years.

Does your van have the same ticking noise when you first start the engine? It's only first thing in the morning or when the engine is cold and lasts for 2-3 mins. It's really annoying and sounds like a noise from an old beaten up engine. A friend has a 2011 140 and it doesn't make the same noise, but has only done 2-5k! It seems to be coming more from the nearisde / left.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi Dan.

I haven't really noticed uneven noises or ticking..certainly its never sounded like an old car!! its occasionsally blips its idle very occasionally on start up but that is it ... presumably you have kept an eye on oil levels and not just relying on the van sensors flashing up when its low? Do you park on a steep incline or side slope? does that affect when its noisy? just a thought.. I'm no expert at all with the VW 140 engine but generally ticking that is there on start up but goes away when warm could be oil getting back to where it is needed after draining away???

On oil levels...mine has never needed any top ups so far but until you have an idea of oil use you should check regularly The van can tell when you have lifted the bonnet and i believe knows when you have lifted the dipstick too etc in its memory so before a long trip you should do as the manual says and check the oil as if the worst happens and the engine dies due to no/low oil you don't want an argument over whether you had enough oil in etc...given my initial issues over false oil warnings I am not 100% confident in the van telling me if a top up is needed (flashing yellow oil can on the MFD) so I do still check before long runs.

I think the oil should be half way up the hashes on the stick (thats what I have been told by VW the owners manual pictures do not tally with my dipstick at all!!)

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I've just doubled checked the oil and it's all good. Bizarrely the ticking noise when first started seems a lot quieter and less obvious in the past few days... weird. I'll try and keep a record of when it's at it's most obvious.

Not sure if there's anyway to put a sound clip up on the forum, but I took a good recording of it when it was at it's loudest.

Great to get the feedback about the DMF too. Initial tick over is a bit clunky sometimes, but that would be me being really picky to be honest. So it may well be the oil pump as the technician said, but it does still seem to be noisey even on a really hot day when you'd expect the oil to be at a higher resting temperature and thinner than in the middle of winter.

Would love it to be all related to a faulty EGR and to get it replaced under warranty. Fingers crossed and cheers for all the feedback, top forum! T:

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys, I've just doubled checked the oil and it's all good. Bizarrely the ticking noise when first started seems a lot quieter and less obvious in the past few days... weird. I'll try and keep a record of when it's at it's most obvious.

Not sure if there's anyway to put a sound clip up on the forum, but I took a good recording of it when it was at it's loudest.

Great to get the feedback about the DMF too. Initial tick over is a bit clunky sometimes, but that would be me being really picky to be honest. So it may well be the oil pump as the technician said, but it does still seem to be noisey even on a really hot day when you'd expect the oil to be at a higher resting temperature and thinner than in the middle of winter.

Would love it to be all related to a faulty EGR and to get it replaced under warranty. Fingers crossed and cheers for all the feedback, top forum! T:

Dan
Hi did you solve the ticking noise on startup?

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts