VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 60/reg with factory sunroof leaking in .. What a bitch

Can anyone with a factory sunroof confirm that water gathers at the two front corners, vw preston said this is normal and the seal cant be 100% it wouldnt open ...what a load of

I rang VW and they booked me in two day after i rang 10am.. hoti thought, but after an hour are so waiting they downloaded the VAG data and just confirmed it had a leak and told me to come back on the 4th jan 2012 ! Mean while my headlining is getting wet and may need replacing, i bet they tell me that my fault as well

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 08 kombi with a factory sunroof and have had leaks from one corner (rear of passenger side) when the van was parked a certain way round on my drive. After checking the mechanism was working properly and the sunroof appeared to be seating properly with no gaps I dropped the headlining off to inspect the mechanism. Mine has drainage channels running round all four sides of the sunroof with drainage hoses heading from each corner down the sides of the van. I therefore assume that VW expect their sunroofs to leak/weep and that any leakage should be channeled away through the drain hoses. In my case I followed the hose in the corner where I was experiencing the leaks and found the rubber grommit where it exits into the rear wheel arch was blocked. Turned out that the grommit had no hole in it from new!! Now fixed and no more wet headlining.

Good luck with the dealer.

M

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Did the dealer not take the headlining down to look at it at all? Can't help thinking they get a bit lazy with these faults

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Had the same problem with my sunroof a while back, must have had the headlining off half a dozen times, found two massive gaps so when the van was parked at an angle and it chucked it down the drainage channels would overfill. Touch wood it hasn't returned yet :eek

The two rear drainage pipes run down to the rear wheel arches to drain

·
Registered
149 Posts
cheers mark..

I can only see two drain holes located at the front corners that go down the A pillars, I'm gonna blow them out with an air compressor..
my sunroof dips forward a few millermeters when its closed, Do know if they can be adjusted ?

Mike
hi mark

had the same problem with my mk4 golf when parked facing downhill meaning front drains were blocked!!
i would check grommets at the end of the drains before blowing them out as some are really caked up as they usually end up in the wheel arches:*

you need to physically empty / pierce these before blowing out or u will just get blow back

cheers paul

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
gulp does seem that VW are not very good at windows that open!! ( as in side slider windows as well ) :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the dealer not take the headlining down to look at it at all? Can't help thinking they get a bit lazy with these faults
Nop..but i did see them downloading the engine managment stuff...yeah that would fix the leak :*

I did think at the time why not just leave the headlining off if there where gona get it back in, I could find the link and might save then re-fitting the sunroof ..I don't think they every open the roof to check drain holes!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sunroof still leaking!!

I went to the dealer but there was not a drop and they said it not worth removing the headlining it would take hours, got home and the heavens opened...dam, So i got my brain into gear...With the A pillar plasic trim removed i placed a tourch up into the headline corner with the sunroof open and i could see the light before my eyes in the sunroof rain gutter, maybe the german ran out of no-nails...lol

Its back in monday for a sunroof refit...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I have a factory sunroof in my Kombi, 2006, had it two years and never had as much as a drip from it. Also have factory sliders in the twin side doors, no leaks there either!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Sunroof still leaking!!

I went to the dealer but there was not a drop and they said it not worth removing the headlining it would take hours, got home and the heavens opened...dam, So i got my brain into gear...With the A pillar plasic trim removed i placed a tourch up into the headline corner with the sunroof open and i could see the light before my eyes in the sunroof rain gutter, maybe the german ran out of no-nails...lol

Its back in monday for a sunroof refit...
Takes 30 mins to remove the headlining, just indicative of most dealers that only know who to use laptops code reader etc rather than actually doing some mechanical work...... Lazy 5hits

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Takes 30 mins to remove the headlining, just indicative of most dealers that only know who to use laptops code reader etc rather than actually doing some mechanical work...... Lazy 5hits
I Agree..T:
when I ordered my £28,900 60reg kombi a sales lad about 20 was showing me around a very nice 10reg kombi that was in for a service told me he was taking it for a test drive up the lakes with his bird n pet dog... 'It's only a van' he said !!!!!!!

GPS fitted.. <(.)> big bro is watchin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts