VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone explain how the auxiliary drive belt tensioner is replaced on the 2.0 please? Having read up afterwards it seems like I did as most people do - spend a couple of hours looking for the bolt and stripping out air con pump bracket bolts to find the bracket is part of a bigger structure above and not moving.
so just ended up replacing the belt.
The videos I watched online prior to tackling the job didn’t seem to show this problem and made it look achievable.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There is a single bolt hidden at the back. The tensioner includes a long (6") round spindle that goes into a spring unit which stays in place if it is not broken. You can't get directly at the bolt so you will have to move whatever is in the way (Can't remember what off hand!) It's no big deal though. Have a look at the new part on ebay or wherever so you see how it all works.

Make sure your van has had the recall done for shredded auxillary belts wrecking the cam belt cover and cam belt. The dealer can tell from your chassis number.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a single bolt hidden at the back. The tensioner includes a long (6") round spindle that goes into a spring unit which stays in place if it is not broken. You can't get directly at the bolt so you will have to move whatever is in the way (Can't remember what off hand!) It's no big deal though. Have a look at the new part on ebay or wherever so you see how it all works.

Make sure your van has had the recall done for shredded auxillary belts wrecking the cam belt cover and cam belt. The dealer can tell from your chassis number.
I found the bolt but was struggling to see how to remove the air con pump mount bracket which looks like it might give enough room to just sneak a spanner through to reach it.
What is supposed to have been changed on the recall?
I did notice the belt I bought was marked as 1550 where as a couple of how to change the belt videos I’ve seen since stated its size as 1555 so hoping the slight difference in size makes no difference.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I think the recall includes a modified lower half of the case and maybe an improved tensioner. Even small differences in belt length can cause problems with the tensioner working in a different place but it could be that the recall includes a different length belt. Someone has probably posted all the details of what gets done here or elsewhere online because there have been a few cam belt failures when the belt has chewed up the plastic cam belt cover. The dealer used to put a sticker on any modified part or on the door pillar with the recall number once any recall was completed but I don't know if this still happens these days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted the main dealer today and asked about the recall and he confirmed there was no outstanding recall on my van. I’m thinking if the recall was before 2016 it would have been done as the RAC were leasing the van during that time. I’ll check with the garage who are now replacing tensioner if the belt will cause issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 2010 140 would they still hold records that for as i have no idea if mines been done.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yes they can tell from your chassis number whether a recall was completed or not.

If it was actually a full safety recall (a sudden unpredictable stopping of an engine would usually be counted as serious enough) the manufacturers have agreed voluntarily with VOSA that they will will notify owners so you should have been contacted automatically by VOSA if your van is within the chassis number range/year involved. But occasionally they get missed with changes of owner address etc and slip though the net. The manufacturers are sometimes less than keen to issue an expensive recall if they can get out of it see that something else (such as poor maintenance) has contributed to the problem.

There are other lower levels of 'recall' that aren't really recalls at all but mean that problems that are deemed as not safety-related will be fixed free of charge if the car appears at a dealer for work. You won't get the benefit of these unless you use the dealer network. Every manufacturer has different names for these different levels of reporting and fixing of the various faults that crop up with each model.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did look it up on the gov/vosa one nothing came up.will give vw a bell at some point.👍🏼

·
Registered
192 Posts
Phoned them today he said nothing outstanding and also said he remembered it and mine was not on the list.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
That's good news. I would have thought most engines should have the updated cover by now but I just googled it and there are some people complaining that the dealer only told them about the problem when the van went in for something else or they had squeaking noises. Better to be safe than sorry with this problem because the result can be a wrecked engine if you are unlucky. It looks like T6's are not affected as they would have been manufactured with the modified cover I guess.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's good news. I would have thought most engines should have the updated cover by now but I just googled it and there are some people complaining that the dealer only told them about the problem when the van went in for something else or they had squeaking noises. Better to be safe than sorry with this problem because the result can be a wrecked engine if you are unlucky. It looks like T6's are not affected as they would have been manufactured with the modified cover I guess.
Mine has always been silent and looks in good condition.anyone got a pic of the cover?it could well have it already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts