VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Does anyone know where I can get an after market air con kit for my 2012 T5.1 transporter?

I'm on the south coast (worthing) and fairly handy with a spanner so am looking to do it myself but also would like to know if there are any companies locally that anyone has used to do the same.

Olly

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
It's a massively involved job to be fair but it is possible. Just depends on how keen you are. Or you can contact Alpinair in/near London who do a full retrofit with all OEM switches etc. for around £2k,

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
The only way to get a kit is to make one yourself. You can buy the compressor and condenser from Euro Car Parts etc but the mountings, belt drive, evaporator and pipework will only be available from a breaker or VW/TPS. Thats what I did anyway. I found a couple of pipes and evaporator on ebay and the rest from VW. The big pipes around the engine bay cost about £700 altogether. You need to make 1 hole in the bulkhead for the TXV and then separate the halves of the heater box to drop the evaporator in but otherwise it all bolts in. A new heater panel will be needed with the AC switch (and the AC control all hidden in the back) and then you'll need to do a little rewiring to add the sensors into the main harness and finally re code one setting in the engine ECU to tell it to accept the AC request. I spent about £1200 on parts and then gave a garage £1000 to fit it all but it's all genuine so any garage to repair it. The garage I used said they'd never do one again!!🤣

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Yeah when you look at how involved it is to fit, and as Bobley discovered, there's already about £1200 just on parts so £2k for someone else to have all the hassle doesn't sound too bad.
If you've bought a van cheaper without AC then it probably makes more financial sense to add that value on to the van. Personally I think I'd rather hold out for a van WITH A/C! 😁

1 - 9 of 9 Posts