VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5 TDI Auto is getting about 55 miles from 15 quid of diesel which i reckon is about 22mpg, ok theres a fair amount of short journeys in there but i'm not flooring it everywhere, the van has had everything done and I know the timing is slightly advanced but i'm sure its doing a lot less MPG since its been to Waynes, is there anything obvious it might be, its had all belts done, new maf, new coolant temp etc. It isn't showing any faults on Vagcom but the only thing that worries me is it seems to take a lot of revs before anything happens and sounds very transit ish on low revs, it almost sounds like its grabbing a load of air when i press the pedal.....and sounds very chain like as well if you know what i mean...

Any ideas this fuel consumption is killing me...

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
162 Posts
not much help but that's not right. my 2.5 gets 30+ with lots of short journeys (sub 5 mile) it is empty though and on steelies.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I got a 99 lwb 2.5tdi panel van and i get at least 40mpg even 44 on a log run.

Id be well unhappy with your mpg :(

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Know tell me about it, mines a LWB kitted out in the back but it certainly does seem to have lost a lot of MPG since the new injectors and visit to wayne, I used to get 120 miles out of £20 on a run, I know my Auto box isn't behaving properly but this last £15 I haven't gone above 60mph (to the stop the box going into hydraulic mode) and i still have only got 54 miles from 2.5 gallons...Could i be over fueling or something, like i said before i seems to over rev on low revs and on small hills before it does anything, I just want a nice running van with a nice shifting gearbox ..is it to much to ask.....
Anybody who really knows T'4 on here near Rossendale Lancs that would have a listen and come for a drive in my van to see if i'm missing something..
Also what would be really good....is there anyone local with an Auto so i can see how the box should behave....
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I've been monitoring my 2.5tdi (remapped to 128hp, K&N, 85k miles) for the three weeks Ive owned it. So far, best of 37.8 over a week of fairly careful driving. 35.5mpg over the subsequent week of 'normal' driving and an airport run.

This weekend not so good, 600 miles, awful journey across England and up to Haverfordwest during the dreadful weather friday, including an hour and a half of less than walking speed queuing for the bridge, lots of faffing about then returned sunday, probably 500 miles of it being on motorways between 75 and 85mph and rushed, the rest being stop/start and slow country roads, I got 32mpg on the whole trip - but I reckon those journeys were probably a 'worst case ever' for my driving, none of it was 'careful'.

I'm having a 'careful' week again now, and want to see if I can break the 40 figure.

On that basis - I dont reckon 22 is right at all!!!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
After my re-map at Waynes I have not noticed any difference in fuel consumption but lot's more oomph.
Mine is a Manual box so maybe the re-map is not suitable for the auto.
I have just swapped my injectors for brand new ones and my injection quantity went from 4.5 mg/stroke to 2.8.
I had a very slight slow down shudder after the change and corrected this by increasing my injection quantity to 3.2mg/stroke.
I am hoping with the new lower IQ I will improve my MPG as well, because the oooomph is still there if not better.
I am presuming the old IQ was down to worn leaking injectors.
Maybe if you had a play with your IQ you could get your fuel consumption a little better.

Ps: my engine is an AUF the same as yours but with a manual box strapped to it and I was getting 40+ mpg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to get 28mpg from my 2.5TDI Auto.

I did the EGR mod and put in a new air filter and it went up to 32mpg.

Recently I've been driving real steady, to maximise mpg, and I managed 34mpg on my last tank.

Thought about doing a decat too, as I've heard this improve efficiency, but I can't afford it at the mo.

Looking forward to seeing if my ATF change will improve things.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Think yourself lucky I only got 13mpg last Tuesday on a run up to Bromsgrove T:
:eek::eek::eek:,my truck can manage that when empty!
why not go back n see wayne?:*yr local to him,if anyone can give you an answer,its himT:

·
Registered
22 Posts
my 2.5 auto is just the same 22ish to the gallon i know but i dont think they did much more when they where new. any ideas i would love more mpg .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't have one myself yet- but have heard Snow performance water/ methanol stage 3 boost cooler improves economy & or power..dependant on your wishes- especially if your keeping van. My local tuners flog 'em about 300 notes.( all stage 3 means is more control in the cabin)
Mine a manual, but a Syncro running standard injectors, a PPT decat stainless side exit exhaust, induction kit and Jabba remap.
They have had to turn map down as clutch can't take what Jabba can get. With all the extra drag- transmission etc I guess I'm lucky with 37mpg on a run. I thought that was rubbish.
Just an idea as I have no actual experience of one but anything worth a try if you only getting 22mpg- OUCH. Good luck, I'd have had to sell mine if was 22mpg- my cousin gets that from his Mk3 VR6 Golf no matter how careful or hard he drives it and no one will buy it for that reason- Oh it's a left hooker too
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
A lot of economy is down to where you live! go to Norfolk where it is flat and you will get better economy than living in the Pennines.

22mpg is pants! worst i get in my 2.5 174 manual is 27mpg and my van is used as a van, full of builders junk & tools... 44mpg on a decent run T:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts