VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have sold quite a mint Renault Trafic sport 2016 and I am looking at buying a 2008 2.5 L it’s done 220,000miles and on paper it doesn’t make sense, it’s not cheap at £5,500 in comparison to other manufacturer. The engine seems to have no issues, it’s had a turbo replaced a-couple of years ago and the bodywork is reasonable for 14 years old and has a T5.1 front end and I like the look of it but the mileage is scary. To me. Are they worth this amount with super high mileage?
Car Sky Land vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
£5500 sounds cheap to me !
The 2.5 is a good strong motor IF its been well maintained ( correct oil etc)
It can be expensive IF it goes pop .
If its straight / tidy and feels right then that mileage wouldnt put me off.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My T5 had covered over 350k when I sold it, but by then it had become a bit of a money pit.
The 2.5 is a great engine if looked after by people that "know" them & they are fussy on their oil (the engines, not the people) as the camshafts are made of cheese.

It looks nice in the picture but personally i don't like the 5.1 front end.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That mileage wouldn't put me off and at £5,500 is cheap, the reason why other manufacturers are cheaper in comparison is because a Ford Transit would rust on its way home from the dealership

·
Registered
143 Posts
I see there’s a Manx flag next to your forum name. Are you from there or still stay there. ? I used to work for Dandara / Heritage Homes. I used to stay next to the Liverpool arms up the wee lane . My uncle Ian and aunt Lorraine still stay there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see there’s a Manx flag next to your forum name. Are you from there or still stay there. ? I used to work for Dandara / Heritage Homes. I used to stay next to the Liverpool arms up the wee lane . My uncle Ian and aunt Lorraine still stay there.
Yes I live on the island, I know the Liverpool Arms, it’s a beautiful place to live, do you get over often?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Engine would probably be the last thing to go wrong. And it depends of what is your plan. Keep it a few years? It’s a daily? Dpf very expensive to replace on 2.5L (800-1000 pounds). Brakes, suspensions, aircon, electric, airbags sensor, fuel pump…a lot to go wrong on any car at that mileage and year.
If you do most of the work yourself it certainly worth buying it at that price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I paid around that for mine as a non runner. And 250 on clock.
New turbo got it going and then a few weeks later tandem pump blew. I’m pretty sure mine hadn’t been maintained too well, just cosmetic stuff was invested in!
It’s all good now and I think out of the 5 t4/t5 I have owned this is the lowest mileage!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts